WWII Outfits and Gear

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Recogged

Post by Recogged »

Hmmm. Ah, yeah. It just made me really angry to see that when I read it. Anyway. On to more pleasant stuff.

I was wondering as to what I could use to pass for sulfa powder (as used in the Bastogne episodes in Band of Brothers, and on Wade in SPR)?. I was thinking icing sugar...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I would try baking soda.
=JDL=

Post by =JDL= »

Ive got a helmet question. Is the liner supose to be loose? Mine is flopping all over the place. Do i need netting to hold it in place?
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/Jesse1369/230912934_l.gif[/img]
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

No, you need to buy the leather band that wraps around the bill of the helmet. If you can't get that, then just get duck tape make into these small rolls, then put it on the inside of the helmet then put the liner in.

That's how this helmet is staying together:
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yo guys been a while since i posted, thought id help bump this classic thread? But where the hell is Epsilon? has he given up on us! lol

Anyway Barnes i've been working on a wee ww2 project, about these germans and russians fighting over a factory building set in Stalingrad possibly (but probably some other place cos lets face it that choice would be a cliche.)

Heres some tips ;)

Im converting my swedish wool grey tunic uniforms into german ones, and im making insignias by using print transfers (like for t-shirts) onto a suitable material. They look reasonable enough without me actually buying a million real patches blah blah.

I've also ordered 10 German helmets, 10 airsoft mp40s, and heres a deuce... 10 'deactivated' mosin nagant soviet rifles, (still with moving parts.) Which in the UK costs ... u guessed it lots...

I mean in the USA a lot of stuff is so much cheaper its ridiculous, for example guns (if u have a license) i think americans are still coming to th concept of deactivated firearms lol.

Anyway I'm trying to make a kind of soviet ww2 style uniform and its very very very hard.

They have a look that is quite distinct... difficult to really replicate, but im having to make compromises.

Im using darkish khaki Greek GreatCoats, and the (top collar mandarin style) soviet khaki tunic, brown trousers, (as in wool like the wool tunics)

For the helmets im using czech models, look just like the soviet ww2 roughly but cost a tuppence. Hats like the side cap etc are no probs got lots of those.

I want pretty cool action sequences with up to 20 guys duking it out.

I'll post some pics supa soon lads ;)
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Yea, I think he died or something.

Even though the factory thing is cliche, if you can think of really cool stuff to do with it that no ones else has done, I don't think it would be much of a problem. What happen to "Death Sqaud?"

Can you post some of those transfers: I didn't know they would work on wool; how good do they look?

I could get a mosin nagant rifle for around $69, I think divide it by 1/2 or something like that for pounds. But sometimes the damn deacts cost more than the real deal! But you can always get like a parts kit, like I've seen a deact parts kit for a mg42 as a cheap as $400 (of course that price is getting alittle hard to find now).

Sounds like you'll have loads of fun with this: 20 guys? Jez! That's going to be crazy!
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

i have two blue trenchcoats that i plan to use for my ww2 flick but need to dye them kharki or green, the problem is that they're wool, is it easy to dye wool or would it just run when wet??
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hey Barnes mate, yeah your damn right, the cost of deactivation would be more than the cost of a gun in the USA lol.

The factory thing is a bit of a cliche but what location isnt in a war movie nowadays, (the moon!) er lol, actually I say factory, most will be but like most of these kind of 'siege films' from night of the living dead to Cross of Iron, there will be fighting from within the 'bunker' and outside it too.

I'll give ya a script to look at when its done if u like? id love a second opinion.

Deathsquad is still getting made but its costing a lot, I have procured over 80 costumes (no joke) and 60 Airsoft Assault Rifles, from M16s to Ak47s to all kinds of variances, (there not all for use for 'scale' but for varieties of troop types etc that feature in the film.) But filming for that won't start for a few months - same for the ww2 action film.

Ct Bullet, where did you get those coats from, I could probably do you a better deal haha to get you Swedish / or Swiss, grey greatcoats that are very familiar to the M43 Greatcoat pattern.

//EDIT transfers - barnes I'll let you know, if they work, i will post the high resolution graphic made by Gavin, (a professional graphic artist) so you guys can just print the designs (pdf document) on any decent printer on the -tshirt transfer paper, so you can do it yourselves. Uncle Lawrie cares ;)
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Of course I'd love to read it.

So both movies are being film at the same time?

Glad to see someone cares, :roll: lol.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Hey all.
Hows it goin?
I havent been around here for a while.
Basically, I got to go shooting a few days ago. It was sweet, shot a 12 guage remington 870 and a sporter lee enfield no4.
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

i got my greatcoats from a local ex- RAF personel actually, and thanks but no thanks, i'm good with what i've got
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

jesus - thanks but not thanks haha charming,

lol just joking, yeah well RAF coats are blue of course? Really you want to look for grey or brown next time when u get coats for germans, and in fact you'll find they are probably much cheaper than RAF coats too.

I got 10 Swedish GreatCoats, there grey and double breasted, and you can get them for just £10 each from the right places (i have a corporate account to get them on wholesale, but you can get em for retail prices probably anywhere between 20 - 35

I'm also getting khaki brown double breasted coats, (of the Greek variety) but basically there similar at least roughly to the american pattern.

If your in the UK bullet you'd be welcome to come on a wee holiday when filming commences, we'll be filming in Scotland, Devon for a bit and near Manchester. (the reason for location changes) is the availability of ww2 vehicles we're hiring / using etc.
ZombieKrieg2005

Post by ZombieKrieg2005 »

That would be pretty tempting, when will filming start? I f you have a need for 19 year old people standing at the back or as dead people (I can fail to move better thatn anyone I know, must be the pre-essay laziness). In terms of the soviet uniforms, they went through so many different patterns pre-1943 that it pretty much doesnt matter what people are wearing. there were still soldiers with 1919 model uniforms, from the very start of the russian civil war. As long as the story is there I dont mind small inaccuracies (as long as its not americans finding the enigma!)
http://lyssophobiaproductio.tripod.com/
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hey Zombie will i think filming will probably start around the 2 - 3 month mark, that will have given time for gathering the rest of our low budget pennies and have the preprods all done.

Sure you'd be welcome to be an extra and muck about with our chaps and help out etc.

Yeah im giving my russians probably khaki double breasted greatcoats, (its the best i can do hrmph) however i may have them slightly altered (i have a seamstress) and we'll have soviet helmets and sidecaps and peak caps etc, rifles are all right, and we have some soviet tunics of the ww2 pattern (but there small and im using those mostly for our female medics) the rest of the guys will wear these khaki wool mandarin collar uniforms (soviet too of course) and we'll use czech army scarves to tie leg wraps etc.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hey guys. It's been a while, but I'm back more or less. Yet I remain surprised to see this thread still going. I remember when DeadLogic started the thread many a year ago!

Kinf of an interesting note, I purchased a TON of Saving Private Ryan field gear and uniforms a month ago. It's sad to see they destoryed tons of originals items. But I guess they do what they gotta do and doesn't matter afterwards.

I'm still at the reenacting and recently purchased an original BC-1000 backpack radio for my impression as RTO. :)

ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

wicked to see you back, cool radio, i've been after one for ages
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Great to see you on!
Kinf of an interesting note, I purchased a TON of Saving Private Ryan field gear and uniforms a month ago.
Yea, I saw some of your ammo belts on ebay, they look pretty busted up.

And does that radio still work?
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hey hey your back Epsilon! Long time no see buddy, and hey its good to have you back!

Right well, trying to get russian uniforms for ww2 is imo very difficult, they are distinctive, (at least they may well be more so to european audiences than americans perhaps, tho i doubt it.)

But everything has a strange collar there, to greatcoats with no exterior buttons (like traditional double breasted greatcoats) meaning finding the right uniforms is very very difficult!

So anyway, basically because i need approximately 20 uniforms, it makes no difference if i can get 1 for a good price if thats all they have, (and makes also, affording that many very difficult.)

So i've had to compromise on the accuracy of my costumes. Perhaps you have some advice Epsilon?

Okay, you have to imagine him with a brown belt and mosin pouches etc. The peak cap (which i can get loads of) i was thinking of using for soviet elite guard units, and just a helmet and or pilotka side caps for the normal joes.

The tunic and trousers are postwar, and i think they resemble very very roughly, the early soviet uniform with (that more modern collar pattern) that the retro return they had to the tsarist collar style by the mid war. Tragically getting the tunic shirts (gymnasterkas) is too expensive :(

Okay he looks cr** in this pic, especially without belts, pouches or anything haha, (and don't ask why he's holding an ak47 lol) now this looks a lot more like an american great coat (probably was made based on the usa pattern) tho its from the Greek army (late 40s early 50s) (not the collar is just buttoned up to make it look more russian)

Anyway, I shall have someone examine positive alterations of the buttons to see what can be done.

PS - Epsilon in the end i couldnt get k98s from the USA, and there too expensive here, so i will have to use mosin nagants, for both sides (germans in long shots, and ruskies in close up.) This i think will be fine, I am getting ten of them which in the UK is expensive as hell. I will post pics of them when we get them in.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

wicked to see you back, cool radio, i've been after one for ages
I went to an Army/Navy store near Cherry Point Airbase, and they had one for $50 (didn't work though but still a nice prop).

Everything looks so clean-

Throw it in a dumpster for a day, :) .
EstonianMovemaker

Post by EstonianMovemaker »

omg, nice Stuff u got!
hehe but check what i got !!!!!!!!!
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

great kit everyone,

it makes in laugh that you post such large detailed pictures so people can see how tidy your house is
EstonianMovemaker

the most tidyest u have ever seen.
enough from cr**.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Hey Estonian nice hat? Did you get that from europe or from the Hong Kong company KWmilitaria? Looks good whereever it came from, but we are getting some repo stuff from HK to use as props for the germans that are supposed to be fighting the ruskies in our movie. lol well ctbullet, we can't always rely on our mothers to clean after us can we *ahem* unless we still live with them...
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

my parents wouldn't dare come in my room thankyou!!, and i feel very grown up spunging
EstonianMovemaker

No offence for russians, but russians are very bad! They Have always wanted The Baltics, and Polandland, and Finland and so on.I hate that Germany lost the second world war. Estonians fighted on german SS ofcource, and kicked Russians ases.
I feel baad for those who went to russian army.