Help! OpenGL error... Virus!?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Help! OpenGL error... Virus!?

Post by Vamp »

I have a Geforce 4 MX440 with the latest drivers which come with OpenGL. I just got a copy of Lightwave, and when I try run it, it says.

"Error, DLL missing, cannot find OpenGL32.dll"

This is very strange. On my old PC, I had a virus (I assume it was a virus) that, whenever I tried to play a game that ran on the Quake III engine (and also possibly OpenGL) like Alice or Heavy Metal FAKK 2, the game would just crash. After I reformatted, it worked fine. Now when I tried to play Heavy Metal, I got an error which said "Cannot find OpenGL subsystem"

I really cannot reformat. It is such a hassle. I've lost my backup CD and there's no way I can get all my software installation files again. Plus, I'm the host PC on a Broadband supporting network and if my computer goes down, the internet on all my others (3) go down as well...

I havn't tried a program that needs OpenGL, like a game, or a 3D Modeler, since I upgraded my 3D Card Drivers... Twice... Should I revert back to older drivers?
Any suggestions?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Make sure Opengl32.dll is in the windows\system ( or winnt\system32) folder, if it is there and the error continues, copy it to the directory where you installed lightwave.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

It's not in Windows... What should I do?
www.neverdead.co.nr
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Re-install the driver, that often resolves the problem!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Cool... I'm first going to totally remove everything to do with the drivers and then re-install them...
www.neverdead.co.nr
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I uninstalled everything... installed newer drivers... Didn't help, installed older drivers... Didn't help

What should I do!

I don't want my whole (possible) CGI education ruined for something stupid!
www.neverdead.co.nr
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Do a search on opengl32.dll, copy it from wherever it is found to the windows\system folder and the lightwave folder
The UNDERGROUND
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah uninstall the driver and then make sure it is the lastest and greatest. Does not sound like a virus to me. Maybe even search for a better driver then the one you have
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I've installed the newest drivers available and that didn't work. I installed older drivers as well, they didn't work either... If I can move OPenGL rom my brother's PC, which Windows System folder to I put it in? System or SYstem32?

Because OpenGL can't be found on my PC
www.neverdead.co.nr
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It's possible the drivers you think you're installing are for the operation of the graphics card, rather than the software graphics engine that the OPEN GL is for. Have a look at the manufacturer's website and see what theyhave for both the card drivers and the OPEN GL patch if you can't find the file from somewhere else to copy over.

Also, see if your windows screen-savers work, like the flower-box one, because they run through open GL, and it's quite possible from the sounds of it, there's some element missing in the overall setup.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

The 3D Screensavers don't work...

This is all the information on the drivers I'm using. http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_53.04

I can't find any separate OpenGL downloads.
www.neverdead.co.nr
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I downloaded the single file of OpenGL32.dll from www.download-dlls.com

I extracted it to my Windows System folder and couldn't find it there when I went to check... I found out that it was a "hidden" file, and when I went to explorer options and changed the settings from "Don't show hidden files" to "Show all files" It came up in System...

However, The screensavers still don't work. Should I maybe reboot?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Definitely reboot, a lot of DLLs are loaded at start up...
The UNDERGROUND