Speaker Problems

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Speaker Problems

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I just got a new PC, and I plugged my audio line into it that leads to the AUX input on my Steeo System. With my old computer, this setup produced loud, good quality sound even when the stereo system volume was 1/3 capacity and the teh comp system volume was 1/2 capacity. I now tried the same setup with my new PC and the sound is very soft, almost as if I had the volume turned way down. To get the sound I got with these settings on my old PC, I have to turn both the stereo and the PC way up. Can anyone help me, I don't know whether it is hardware or just the fact that this PC uses a different sound driver.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i have had more than my fiar share of audio problems. so what it moight is that on the newer computers there is tons of ifferen ways to increase the volume. i thouight there was something seriously wrong with my computer but eventually i found a volume control that i had never used that was down all the way. so what im wondering is: what kind of sound card does the new computer have? have you installed the driver/newest? have you lookewd on the manufacturers website for patches? have you tried other speakers? have you checked the following volume controls: the one that comes usually with the sound card, it can be in the taskbar sometimes (not all sound cards have thius i dont think), ALL the volume controls are not down all the way in the speaker in the taskbar (if its not there go to control panel>sounds section and select "show icon in taskbar"). Also in the control panel make sure the individual speakers arent dwon all the way. one last thing if those dont work then make sure if you have 2 speakers that 2 speakers are selected and not 5.1, headphones, etc. probaly your best bet though is to make sure the driver or the newest driver are installed. also check in the device manager that there isnt a problem with the audio driver.
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I found the problem, the sound card only has a line out, not a powered speaker jack. Therefore, the signal from the line-out is loosing strength as it travels accross the room. The back of the comp even has a small sticker that says powered speakers needed. So I guess even though the stereo would be considered powered speakers, maybe the distance is too great? Either way, I guess I'll just buy some desktop powered speakers.

thanks for the help! :)
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

um... oy I came too late. lol The problem has been resolved! :)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

To resolve a problem like this, you really need the amplifier nearer to the PC, with the longer cables leading away to the speakers. If you're plugging it into a stereo, but finding that you're losing signal strangth, get a small pre-amplifier. Radio shack'll sell 'em for under a tenner!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

im still useing 7 year old speakers for my new pc (old from 2 years back) but i will get better ones *vanishes like the dude in mr. deeds)
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998