Survey - What would terrify you in a horror film?

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Survey - What would terrify you in a horror film?

Post by Vamp »

Me and Justin are planning on developing a genre-defining horror that will break away from all the cliches of modern Slasher and Teen horrors.

We've thought up 2 possible ideas.

1.) A film emulating the gritty horror and "parallel universe between heaven and hell" atmosphere of the game Silent Hill.

2.) Modernizing a children's story into a terrifying movie. Something like Hanzel and Gretel.

We're still thinking of other possible ideas, but we plan on starting pre-production as soon as out screenplay is complete, we also plan to feature a type of memorable creature in this and will not rely on any 3D Modelling whatsoever.

We'd like to know what you want to see in a horror movie. What would scare you the most?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

You have an awesome idea there.
Number 2 all the way.
I think murders do not scare me I think what is scary is little kid stuff like Clowns or Dummys that come alive or even Chucky.
It doesn't scare me but it is my favorite kind of horror becuase it can never happen.
Be sure to use weapons in your movies.
Hope I help.
Famous
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

LOL! ME TO! I'd go for the second option. Clowns still freak me out a bit!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Hmm..

Justin suggested we do something more original, that's never been seen before. What potentially horrifying stories could you recommend?

We want this film to be ultra, ultra terrifying.
www.neverdead.co.nr
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I'd pass this one over to Corpse_Grinder! PM him if he doesn't reply to this thread!

Although I got the vote on the Halloween avatar thingy with this: Image, his avatars really freaked me out, and it was a really close call! I think he's probably capable of coming up with some really mind-affecting stuff!
Grant

Post by Grant »

at least with childhood tales most people cab readily indentify with them
death to traitors

Post by death to traitors »

you know what scares the hell out of me is the thought of not being able to move my body or talk just being paralized! makeing a movie about what would go on in the mind of a paralized person could be very scary.you cant talk or move but all you se is f*** up s***..
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

you could merge Both ideas, with what Death to Traders is saying, because thats a great way to justify what is happonning. but it has the possiblity of eather being exseptionaly good, or just cr**, but I hope it turns out good.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

They did that in Kiss Of The Dragon with Jet Li!
Grant

Post by Grant »

It is a great fear though. I have seen it many times. To be totally helpless
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Yeah take all these peoples fear of clowns and use it with the Number 2 selection. Make a horror movie about BOZO. lol anyway. definetly # 2 or CLOWNS
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
death to traitors

clowns are only scary if there is a song from a music box in the background and they are staring blankly with blood dripping from there mouth and maybe some dead babies laying around
Grant

Post by Grant »

yes there is some strange universal fear of clowns, maybe because they wear that fasle happy face and mannerisms?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I blame Stephen King for us all being creeped out by clowns, anybody here read IT?
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Aliens scare the heck out of me! Everybody hated signs, but I loved that movie, greatest horror film of all time... I personally think it was only good because of M Night Shamalon...
@seanbagley
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I have seen some pretty darn old clowns before. Sometime past 60 years of age. I often talk with them while waiting for parades to commence.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I hated clown ever since I saw IT, not that I ever liked them in the first place. Creepy people if u ask me.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

They are actually quite nice people if you talk with them. Clowns treat their jobs professionally, and it is kinda interesting to listen at what they have to say about it! Sometimes they'll give you coupons and stuff for Prank shops! :D
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

I think things that can happen are more scary. That's why 28 Days Later has the effect it does. With SARS outbreaks and stuff, you think 'jeez, this is real life!'. Candyman etc is like 'wow, pretty cool, but this could never happen, so no threat to me'.
Kids are the new scary things I think. Beasts are old, adults psychos have been done, we need new things.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Yeah ive read IT its 1068 pages or somthing though.
Anyways hey Epsilon why did you change your avatar?
Vamp you have a great idea with the hanzel and Greatal except people wont really thinks its real.
Famous
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Clowns want you to think they are nice. I still think they are creepy!

I had a clown who used to come into the shop, his professional name was the same as John Wayne Gacy used - Pogo The Clown! He really freaked me out! I'm sure he was a great fellah, but he freaked me out! Gacy killed 33 young males, and I he's in the USA's top 10 worst serial killers list!

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.artandentropy.com/killers/Gacy.htm
death to traitors

i got bad news for gacy last month i belive it was they caught the guy that killed what they belive was 30 some women but after he was caught he said he would lead them to the bodies and in return they could not seek the death penalty. and it turns out he killed 48! making him no. 1 and gacy just a sad no. 2. it was a nice record while it lasted mr gacy
padawanNick

Post by padawanNick »

By emulating children's stories you're really only one step away from what scares and/or draw a more emotional response from me more than anything else.

I'm a parent, and even people who aren't parents have a few hundred thousand years of parental instincts born into their psychy.

I may be opening something of a Pandora's Box here, but I don't think there is ANYTHING more horrifying than little (under 10/under 5) children in genuine danger.

I can't help but feel genuine anger for any character that would harm a child and genuine fear/desperation during a scene where some mortal danger is approaching. It just freaks me out to no end.

Good luck.
Have fun.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GO with the Gacy story.

Post by Themovieman44 »

The Gacy story is a brutal and terifying story of what happens when good people get messed up in the head. Like Nick said it is scary, i'm only 15 and the thought of things like the mentioned in the website posted by CamClub happening to kids. Mutilation, rape, murder, that is the real scare. SO in a way make a serial killer film. Make it in a sorta sense like Helter Skelter with a modern twist. Go with the Gacy story, base it on his life. Respectable hard worker/ part time clown, turned evil child murderer. So if you did that I would definetly be interested. If you dont want to do that let me know, i would like to try something like that. But if you do have fun with it and make it as real and believeable as possible. <Make the murderer a man loved by the audience in the begining for his generocity or such and by the end the audience hate and despise him for what he has done. It could be a serious project that could really open peoples eyes if done in the right fashion. But the clown/serial killer using his clown costume to lure little kids is a great and powerful story to go on. Have fun
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Good point there. May also be an idea to reflect on some of the reasons Gacy ended up like he did, you could have a few throwback scenes to put things into perspective. He wasn't just some crazy who filpped, but was almost conditioned into it by environment. Make the viewers hate the evil character, but also find it in their hearts to pity him, but take their pity and make them realise it's unwarranted, and that if he had a stronger and better character he could have got through his problems and been a better person!

It's certainly a horrifying thought that people that appear repectable can be capable of such things! I don't trust clowns though - they freak me out! Perhaps it's the hold the have over their audience. You want to like them so much because they are making you happy and trusting, buy they don't just deceive you with magic tricks, oh no sonny Jim, they're out to get you, to do nasty things to you, and eat you for breakfast!

BRB, just going to make sure the front door was locked properly!

OKAY! I'm safe for now! LOL!