Microphone?

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

lirus

Microphone?

Post by lirus »

In this action-movie that Im making I want to use many live-sounds so to speak, but since it's located outdoors I have real big problems with wind-noise and stuff in the camera microphone and I wonder how to solve this.

I've been thinkin of using a separate mic with one of these big fluffy things on it. But the quality doesnt satisfy me!
Any suggestions?
MarkA87

Post by MarkA87 »

Try and get a windscreen for your microphone. It would probably work best with a shotgun microphone. :)
judy_hammel

Post by judy_hammel »

actually, a seperate microphone is like 10x better than your onboard microphone, lol. A LOT better. Use a windscreen too.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Could always add in sound during editing:P
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
Jack

Post by Jack »

I had the same problem and wanted to use a secondary mic but my poxy camera dosent have an audio in socket. is there any other way of recording sound seperatly and then linking it back together in post production?;)
No Matter Where You Go.... There You Are!!
MarkA87

Post by MarkA87 »

I don't think there is a way Jack. I spose you could record the audio onto Minidisc or any other type of recorder and use your computer to put them together.

--- I don't use Premiere at the mo so I'm not sure if you can do it with that? - but I know TMPG Enc let's you specify video and audio files to encode them.

[Edited on 23-5-2003 by MarkA87]

[Edited on 23-5-2003 by MarkA87]
Jack

Post by Jack »

CHEERS DUDE!
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

As MarkA87 sadi your only option if you haven't got a mic input is to record sound seperately onto a DAT tape, mini disc or something like that.

Putting it all back won't be easy if you've got a load of footage and a load of seperate sound. Matching it all up could be extremely challenging!
Chris

Post by Chris »

If you record sound onto a separate device, you might want to go real old school and use a clapboard so it'll be easier to sync up at edit time (or you can just clap your hands at the top of a shot). You can indeed import .wav files into Premiere.

[Edited on 24-5-2003 by Chris]
Jack

Cheers for the tip dude.

Post by Jack »

so would you just import the video and audio as two seperate files and align them both acording to when the clapper board comes down on the video and the makes the sound on the audio?:)
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Yep thats exactly what you can do. If you've got well planned script it may help speaking a description of the scene before you film it

"this scene 1, shot 1, take 2"

This will give you valuable info when you are trying to work out what section of sound is meant to go where. Use a clapper board as well so you've got a visual clue to work with as well.

Obviously you will also have the 'real' sound recorded on your camcorder. In premiere you will be able to switch or fade between the two source of audio.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanking you muchly super administrator dude.:D
Brent

another option

Post by Brent »

shoot it with no audio, dub all the lines in a foregn language and use subtitles!!
Cool?

I think So!
Brent
DoDGe

Post by DoDGe »

what if his video was supposed to be an english video, with english characters though :P
how bout just adding in sound afterwards, i done that on my first movie, but it was hard to get at the right place, i need a good movie to start and stop sounds while editing the movie...
[url=http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=viewpro&member=DoDGe]DoDGe[/url]
[url=http://www.home-editing.cjb.net]Home Editing[/url]
[email]dodge2k2@hotmail.com[/email]