2.8 p4 runs at 1.8?

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

2.8 p4 runs at 1.8?

Post by justsomeguy »

a little while ago i bought a 2.8c ghz p4 but noticed it only runs at 1.86. i didn't do much for awhile cause it was still a great boost in performance from my last old computer. i recently called intel to ask them why this was happening. and they said it had something to do with the mobo. i dont really want to spen more $$ on a new mobo cause im saving up to buy the gl2. is what intel says true or are they justing trying to blame someone else so they dont have to deal with me?
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I've definitely never heard of that one before, just threaten them with changing to an AMD customer and maybe they will give you more of a helping hand. And just an FYI, most large companies like that couldn't care less about you, their main concern is there corporate line.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Yes it definitely can happen, particularly if you replaced a chip in an exisiting motherboard with the new processor. The mother board has two settings.. the bus speed and the clock mulitplier. They determine the fastes speed that the proc can run. If the mobos timing only allows 1.8 then no matter what you throw at it that is all you will get. There are two ways to check it. Depends on teh mother board whether the timing is set on the motherboard physically with jumpers or dip switches or if it is configured in BIOS setup. If you are not familiar with overclocking chips, then this is definitely not the kind of thing you want to try yourself. Find a PC performance freak who has done some OCing and let him look at the setup. But since it sounds like this was a proc only upgrade, Intel is probably telling you the straight story. At least from their point of view. Most likely it is not their MB and they are not going to take the liability. If it was a PRoc and MB upgrade, were they ordered as a matched pair? If so then contact the vendor you purchased them from and find out what the hey is going on.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

when i bought the mobo it said i was compatible with 3.0+ ghz. the mobo is actually a replacement i got cause i got the same one before and it didn't work at all. that really annoying cause i built my own computer so i didnt know if it was something i did or what. but i sent it back and the replacement seemed to wqork fine except it only runs at 1.8. oh well, i guess i will just buy a new mobo.
Baggage:::: www.criticalcows.ne1.net
New episode coming by the end of the month!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Check to see if there is a newer version of motherbaord bios, it maybe an old production run.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Also check the motherboard manufacturer's website - they may have fome information covering this in their FAQs.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Grant

Post by Grant »

i would check you BIOS settings and see if the CPU multiploer is set right. If you BIOS has that option then it may not natively be set to its highest setting. This may also enable you to overclock it also slightly
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

i have no clue wut yall r talkin bout heh
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Well, sometimes when you set up a processor (Like a P3 500 for example), if you do it manually, to tell the motherboard what speed you want, you got for 100MHZ, and select 5 as the multiplier (5X100=500!). If you want to overclock (and have good cooling!), you could set the multiplier at 103Mhz, to boost the speed up to 515Mhz!

What Grant is saying is that you can do this sometimes on the motherboard - some of them have jumper pins that you re-position over different pins for a different value. This can also come in handy if you wrongly clock your processor and it won't boot-up. You can correct the setting manually without having to go into the BIOS.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

still no clue...
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i have the newest bios, that was the 1st thing i did. i just tryed adjusting the cpu multiplier and now its at 2.7. yeah! if i try to go higher, when i start up the screen stays blank and nothing happens. just wish i could get the 1 extra ghz.

I just resarted again and now it went back to 1.8!!! i changed it again and like it did when i set it too high, it wouldnt boot up. aaarrrgghh!!
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

never mind the last part of my prev post, i got it back up to 2.7. the problem was that it adjusted the dram mhz too high when i changed the cpu. hmm computers like to do wierd things. anyway, so i guess it works now. but does that mean the memory is messed up and so it doesnt allow the cpu to go too high because that will make the memory go too high?

[EDIT]

never mind that too. now if i ever set it above 1.8 it will get stuck on the blank screen just before the welcome screen. now what's wrong with it?
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

What type and speed of RAM are you running?
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

3200 ddr ram
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

damn!
--
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i canset it above 1.8 but when i do it takes a LONG time to get past the blank screen before the welcome screen. in one of my last posts i thought it was stuck, but it just takes a really long time. so as long as i dont mind having lunch or something else very timeconsuming i can stand waiting for it. LOL
also, when it booted up the printer didnt work, the sound worked but windows media player didnt. :cry:
Luteleigh

Post by Luteleigh »

The motherboard is most liekly fine. But the bios settings must be wrong. I'm not sure what a 2.8 should be, but the multiplier x cpu bus speed = 2.8Ghz. You should look up your motherboard and figure out the correct settings, or email the motherboards support centre and ask them what settings to place on your BIOS. As soon as you do it wrong you will get a black screen, may even have to pull a jumper to reset BIOS, and at worst - overheat and ruin your CPU.
justsomeguy
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by justsomeguy »

i changeed it and got it up to 2.36 but cant set it above that, when i do it jnust wont turn on at all.