Phone conversations

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Brent

Phone conversations

Post by Brent »

Anyone have a good way of creating phone conversations? I cant get very good results actually recording the phone, is there some sort of filter / equilizer set up that would work?
Brent
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Get hold of a decent sound editing program like Goldwave. Record your sound as a normal wave file using a microphone or whatever. Resample it at a low sample rate to simulate the bandwidth of a phone (ie 3khz ish). Add a noise filter if available. That may give you a phone effect. Its all about throwing away just enough quality for that authentic telephone style !
Chris

Post by Chris »

You can resample, but there's a way that I think works better. If you do have an audio editing program, EQ the sound and dump everything above 3.5 khz and everything below 400 hz. The reason I prefer this method is that then your wave is left with the higher quality sampling rate and people can understand the words better. I guarantee that the radical EQ makes it precisely phonelike.

If you don't have an editing program at all, you can use a regular mixer - as long as it has a basic EQ section. Dump all the lows, dump about half the highs, and boost the midrange. If the midrange is parametric (sweepable) set it to about 3khz and go to town. This won't work quite as well as a brickwall filter in an editing program, but it'll do all right.
Grant

Post by Grant »

You can buy from electronic stores a little suction cupped microphone to connect to the phone which tapes the conversation
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
MarkA87

Post by MarkA87 »

Yea u can just put the audio into a wave editor - and turn down the low frequencies and turn up the high ones. :)
Towels42

Audacity

Post by Towels42 »

If you want to record and edit sound, download Audacity... It's free! Its great for editing and modifying mp3s for movies.

Here's the link... it's a must-have for anyone recording sound.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Ehh... yeah, I tried Audacity a while ago, but I still think Goldwave is better...
Grant

Post by Grant »

Sick Individual Productions reccomend and use whole heartedly Cakewalk and Soundforge
Spike

Post by Spike »

check out "Cool Edit" you can do a lot of cool stuff with your voice including th phone effect
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I've got a Creative SoundBlaster Live that cost me a small fortune when it first came out, but prices have dropped now, and they have all the sockets on a front panel now!

It came bundles with a load of freebies, including an Environmental Audio thingy that lets you change the sound of sounds in realtime! You can sound like a chipmunk (Good for kick in the nuts shots! "Ow man, that wasn't necessary!" LOL!), Godlike for demon-posessed cats and hampsters, and you can play around with it for a telephone sound.

I know exactly the type of sound you mean - Remember the opening part of Einstein-a-go-go by Landscape before the music starts??? (Oh God, I'm showing my age again!)
Moderating behind the bushes!
Grant

Post by Grant »

LuteLeigh if Sick Individual Productions also whole heartedly uses and recommends the soundblaster Audigy