Vertical Widescreen what the Heck!?!?!

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Vertical Widescreen what the Heck!?!?!

Post by Gyro »

Alright, I recently entered in a film/video reflections contest for my school, but while exporting my film onto a VHS from my computer, I couldnt make my screen (on the tv hooked to the vcr) fill the entire screen, its got two big boxes on each side of the screen creating a vertical widescreen effect and when my film is in widescreen it just makes the movie look like its in a smaller box, what can i do to rid of this problem and my confusion with transfering my films to VHS?
@seanbagley
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

The only thing I know about vertical widescreen is that something similar is used in the medical and also publishing industries. The monitors are specially manufactured, and very expensive! I doubt that's what's happening here.

Soms widescreen TVs have a ZOOM function that lets you play a 4:3 format picture (Like from a VCR), and zooms into the picture so it fits the larger size aspect ratio. Usually for this, the top and bottom of the picture are blanked out, so you don't lose any picture.

When you view a normal 4:3 format picture on a widescreen TV, there's too much TV, and not enough picture on the edges, so it usually stretches the edges out to fit the picture. This usually distorts the picture a bit, so they usually have less stretching in the centre where the main focal point is.

Some broadcasts on widescreen TVs do this from time to time. Normally if you set the Aspect Ratio to auto, you wouldn't notice it. Try changing the aspect ratio on the TV, and see if you can get a better result!
Moderating behind the bushes!