Capturing in AVI higher quality than MPEG 1?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Capturing in AVI higher quality than MPEG 1?

Post by Vamp »

If I captured my video from my camera in AVI, would that captured video be much, much higher quality than if I did it in MPEG-1 like I usually do? When watching video on the LCD screen of my camera, the quality is brilliant...
www.neverdead.co.nr
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yes the compression that MPEG-1 uses is quite significant, using AVI with a suitable codec will achieve better quality. I assume you are capture using a capture/tv card ?
Yup : Use something like a motion jpeg codec basically one that is single frame based.
No: You have a DV camera, just use the firewire and a DV codec with the AVI file
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

I have a pretty cheap Capture card, when capturing you have a choice... Save it as an MPEG or as an AVI... I don't think there's codec support so the AVI will probably be uncompressed. Are there any MPEG codecs in Premiere that save in a higher quality with a decent file size compared with the Adobe MPEG exporter, I can only use codecs when saving to AVI.

In Premiere I can capture (never tried before) and I can set codecs there... Which is the best codec to use for the highest quality... I'll probably be using 352X288 resolution... There's no option in Premiere capture which asks whether it should be AVI or MPEG... I think the default codec for everything in Premiere is something called ADV (Definitive) or something like that.
www.neverdead.co.nr