How much space on average, does MiniDV Footage take up?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

How much space on average, does MiniDV Footage take up?

Post by Vamp »

I might go the DV route and get a Minidv cam and a firewire setup... There aren't any compression factors and things that you have to go through when moving video from the camera on to your hard-drive is there? It does everything with a set resolution right? How much space is usually taken up?

I have an SVHS-c camera and a capture card and when I export video onto my PC, I do it with 352X288 resolution (If I raise the resolution higher, the video gets very choppy) on MPEG1 with a video bitrate of 4000KBS (what does the bitrate change? Quality) and that is about 900 megs per half an hour of footage... IS it the same with DV?

(I have a 20 gig hard drive :( and always have around 15.3 hard-free with all my needed software installed... I only rip DVDs (and delete them after encoding them and placing them on CD) and edit on my PC and am on a network with a 10 gig HD PC which I store all my MP3s on...)

How much does DV take up?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

When capping Mini DV a full frame (720x480) AVI will occupy 5 - 6 GB per half hour. For the best quality you should capture your video in an uncompressed ( relatively) format such as AVI. MPG either 1 or 2 is an output format, and not particularly well suited to using as an edit input format. Mini DV will give you much better captures using firewire, with no chopiness on AVIs at a full 720 x 480 frame size. For a PCI firewire card check out http://www.tcwo.com . They have a 3 port for 21.00 USD that I have in two different machines that owrks great.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

MiniDV captured in Microsoft DV AVI takes up roughly 15 GB per hour of footage.
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Yikes... I guess if I ever make a 90 minute film I'll have to capture half an hour or so at a time, edit that delete the source file, repeat the process and add them all together...

Or I could get a bigger hard-drive.
www.neverdead.co.nr
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I would just get a bigger hard drive, always comes in handy.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Usually, I delete the raw footage after a project because it will take up at least 30 gig/half hour of editing for me. Right now I have around 100 gig stored in video right now.

If not bigger hard drives, then more of them!
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah i have found that it can take between 14-16 Gb per hour. i would suggest another hard drive as well but do your research. i wouldnt reccommend an external hard drive. that is what i bought about a year ago cause i thought it would be great cause i could bring my footage with me to different computers. however even with usb 2.0 or firewire you cant export back to your camera cause it just isnt fast enough. for editing i would reccommend at least a 60 Gb hard drive and maybe even more. when i get my new computer for college i am going to be getting a 120 Gb hard drive. are you working on a laptop?
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Nope, not a laptop... My friend, a hardcore gamer has these PC specs.

P4 3.2 GHZ
1 gig ram
500 Gig hard-drive
21" LCD Flatscreen monitor
Geforce FX5600

I wish I could get get that!

I have a

Celeron 1.7ghz
256 megs ram
20 gig HD
Geforce 4 MX440
www.neverdead.co.nr
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

My computer is actually set up for usage as a server, so theoretically I could fit 9 hard drives in it! :lol: But I only have 3. I could probably store around half a terabyte in video files on this computer. If I run out, then I could always attach an external.

You ideal computer, my friend, would cost probably around $5-6k at this time!
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

I tend to capture to my hard drive, tidy up in Premiere and then export to nicely named files which I will use later on to edit with. ie I capture 1 hour from the DV tape (13 gb) load into Premiere, chop up into useful segments, remove the useless bits and export. Then I write the files back to DV tape and DVD.

How much HD space you need depends on how long your finished film is going to be and how much raw footage you need to pla with to get there. Although your film may be 5 mins long you will still need plenty of space to store the hours of raw footage you filmed. You can never have enough space. 120Gb would be a useful size. 60 gb would probably be too small although you may think that is plenty at the moment.
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

Thats pretty much what I'm going to do.
www.neverdead.co.nr
snake_shit

Post by snake_shit »

about 10 gigs half-hour
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Ok, most mini-DV cameras compress file size to 5:1 which then makes the files size upto 1 gig for 4 minutes, and compression made by the software, and that depends on the software.