So many AVIs so little room...

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Emalsca

So many AVIs so little room...

Post by Emalsca »

I finished filming, capturing and editing a 40 minute movie. Now I have 20 rendered .AVIs ranging in size from 64MB to 600MB. What is my best option to put them all together to show the movie on a large screen projecter to an audience of 100 or so?

Do I put them all in Premiere and render them to one BIG MPEG and play it on my PC (1gb RAM, 2.66 CPU, 40gb SCSI 10000 rpm) or do I burn it to DVD (which I don't have presently) but open to suggestions? Thanks.
Grant

Post by Grant »

burn to VCD?
Emalsca

Post by Emalsca »

Grant wrote:burn to VCD?
I am not familar with this format. I take it you burn it on standard cdrom? But my finished product will be larger in capacity. Or are you talking about converting it to VCD and playing off the PC? If so, what do I use to convert to this format?
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

Just use premiere to create VCD!

A VCD has the capacity to hold up to 74/80 minutes on 650MB/700MB CDs respectively of full-motion video along with quality stereo sound. VCDs use a compression standard called MPEG to store the video and audio. A VCD can be played on almost all standalone DVD Players and of course on all computers with a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive with the help of a software based decoder / player. It is also possible to use menus and chapters, similiar to DVDs, on a VCD and also simple photo album/slide shows with background audio. The quality of a very good VCD is about the same as a VHS tape based movie but VCD is usually a bit more blurry. If you want better quality checkout SVCD,CVD or DVD.
(c) http://www.dvdrhelp.com/vcd
Emalsca

Post by Emalsca »

Thanks so much, you have been most helpful. Have a wonder4ful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Look forward to growing with this website.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Twabi2 wrote:The quality of a very good VCD is about the same as a VHS tape based movie but VCD is usually a bit more blurry.
Actually, a VHS tape is higher quality than a DVD... VHS is uncompressed. 8)
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

How comes a DVD player will play a movie with twice the quality of a tape player then?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

It doesn't! :D

DVDs look higher quality because they are digitally stored. Tapes naturally degrade, losing their color and become grainy. But DVDs are all very highly compressed. It is a big strange comparison between analog and digital! Theoretically, analog holds an unlimited measure of quality, whilst anything digital like a DVD is only as high as its pixel count.

Just something interesting to ponder about! :wink: