Creating a phantom on the film set

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Creating a phantom on the film set

Post by El Brenty »

Okay, I previously posted here asking for help with a ghost effect. The conclusion was that it had to really be done in post-production!

NOT SO!

I have come up with a cunning plan, so here's how it works - Old Skool stuff from Captain Camclub again!

Okay, the principal is very easy for this - reflection! All you need to do this effect is a sheet of glass!

Quite simply, have the camera facing forward at the empty set. Between the scene and the camera is a sheet of glass, lets say turned at about 45º so the image of the ghost can be seen. Depending on the size of the glass, I'd say position it about a foot in front of the camera, but so the whole thing is within frame. The ghost can be an actor, or any phantom object!

Now for this to work properly, the phantom has to be strongly lit, with a dark background. This way, the reflection the camera picks up will stand out. You can make the ghost fade in and out of view by adjusting the lighting! Position the phantom the same distance away as the set, so there's continuity in focusing. Use manual focus if you get problems with the camera trying to focus on the glass!

It's so simple, I'm kicking myself for not thinking about it before!

The whole effect is really cool, because you can hide props behind black cloth, as well as assistants, to move objects around! Black thread can be used to suspend floating objects! Anything you use will be see-through, the stronger the lighting, the less the transparancy.

If your ghost actor has to act to the camera, make him look at the sheet of glass instead - from the camer's point of view, he will be looking directly at the camera!

If you want to do an effect where a ghost puts their hand through an alive person's stomach, just set up a black-cloth prop positioned where the other actor's stomach would be on the set. Your ghost's hand simply goes behind the prop, disappearing! You could add a focused spot light to shine just before the prop, so there's a brighter glow as the ghost hand passes into the alive actor's stomach!!! You could even set up a different coloured spotlight to amplify the supernatural effect.

If you want everything ghostly to have a slight glow, use a second sheet of glass (Between the reflector glass and the ghost set), and lightly frost it - you can spray on some vaseline, or whatever else you have to hand that'll cling to the glass, but is transparent enough when you apply it.

Finally, as an aid to the actor, position a monitor and second camera the other side of the sheet of glass. This will help the actor to judge where things like furniture are. Also, if the ghost is supposed to walk behind anything, set up a black-cloth prop for the phantom to walk behind, and dissappear out of view with! Good for walking around tables and the like. A fixed camera position with some trial and error on positioning will help for the props.

Unfortunatly, I don't have time to post any video of this here, but will do to show the effect in the new year! If you lot use this effect, and want to show your examples, post them here! I'll throw some diagrams onto this thread when I get a changce as well! Just thought I'l post this very easy tuitotal in the mean time what with Ghosts of Christmas and stuff!

Yes, I'm so clever! None of you lot came up with that! HA HA HA HA!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Riggzy

Post by Riggzy »

Hey, the used this effect on Disney Lands Haunted Mansion ride! I might try this someone on a small scale.
[url=http://www.loosestscrew.tk]Loosest Screw Productions[/url]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Okay, I have found a flaw in this system! BUT it can be very easily corrected!

You will also need a mirror! You will have to position the mirror after the sheet of glass, otherwise, everything is back to front! The first sheet of glass, acts as a transparent reflector, so mirrors the image. When you add a mirror, you flip it back the correct way!

Strange or what!

Anyway, here's an illustration of what a set could look like - showing the "dead" set, and the "live" set!

TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

I didnt understand you the first time, but with that diagram, it was much easier, and seems a great idea. How did you make that cool illustration?
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I did it on CorelDRAW 11! One of my talents is being a professional graphics designer! Also, it's amazing what you can do with clip-art! LOL!

Here's an illustration showing the setup with the sheet of glass, and the mirror. It's drawn freehand, so the angles are going to be out, besides, it's not to scale anyway, but gives you an idea how it all works!

TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

Wow, cool. What does a professional graphics designer do? (And don't say 'desings graphics!')
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

This professional grephics designer creates the artwork that you see on foil balloons! I've got an extensive background with cartoon graphics, as I've done work with:

20th Century Fox - Simpsons
Enid Blyton - Noddy
Splash! Holdings - Little Monsters
Nickeldeon Studios - Rugrats
Carte Blanche Greetings - Tatty Teddy & Me To You
Taussauds - Thorpe Park Supernova balloon
Legoland - Theme park balloons - Internationally

Just to name a few!

My graphics design work used to be full time for 3 years, but now it's part-time. I'm currently working on some generic designs, featuring a Teddy Bear I've created! The design is supposed to be simplistic, and the bear is being used for an "It's a Boy" balloon design! The same bear has had a gender change (Or is a cross dresser or something), as he (she?!) will also feature as a girl bear on an "It's A Girl" balloon design! http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Sure%20As%20H ... tevens.gif

My work as a graphics designer also included designing packaging for balloons, flyers and brochures, as well as banners, point-of-sale displays, and as a side-line, I still do local restaurant menus!

It's good fun if you build up the skills, and can get the work!

I use Corel software for all my graphics. I have just about everything else including Adobe and Ulead graphics software, but they're just not as user-friendly as the Corel software is.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

I can see you need help
I would Get a Bent Close Hanger and tons of cheesecloth and there is your fantom
Famous
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Famous wrote:I can see you need help
LOL! You're not the first to say that! Someone has to do I suppose! :wink:
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

Cool bear, but i think he might look a little too human like. I know you're the professional here, but i would personally prefer a bear with slightly chubbier limbs.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Chubbier limbs eh? Hmmmm, I'm on the case!
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

I love that picture at the top with the woman by the filmer ...it's hilarios just how it should be.
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

CamClub, more infor related to your Simpsons encounter please :D Was it TV show or merchandise based? Sounds interesting!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I designed 5 different helium foil balloon designs for them, including packaging. I still have about 5 styleguide CDs and a massive style guide folder - Featured bios on all the characters, locations, props, branding, etc. An encyclopedia of sorts. I guess one day it'll be worth something.

They were a real pain to work with though, everything had to be just right, I'd often have to do as many as a dozen changes to a concept before it got approved. Surprising that one of the designs got approval straight away.

Here's an old packaging concept design I had still on my computer:

The Bart Skateboard design was one of the 3D character shape designs I did. Youmay still see some on sale, bu tthe licensing has not long expired.

I also did work for all the major football teams, including Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United (Fred The Red), Tottenham Hotspur, West-Ham to name a few.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Looks like you've got quite a bit of ecxperience under your belt CamClub!
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Yeah it would appear so, thats quite awesome camclub why had you never said anything before?
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I did but you weren't registered. Yep, I do have a lot of graphics design experience, but movie making is a new one to me, something I'm enjoying, and want to do more of. I know how a lot of effects are done, I'm very inventive, so I'm looking forward to applying what I know.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

That is awesome be sure to post some more tutorials with all your experience :)
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Inspire me and I'll post more!
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Inspire how???? THere are many ways to inspire, writing a great script, giving you words of wisdom, telling you what you need to hear? What?
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Yes, all of that! No, seriously, give me some problems that need problem solving! I love doing this stuff.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

Ah okay, well when i have a problem you first one I come to
markymark

Post by markymark »

I just tryed this but i cant get pictures into my computer at the moment from the camera to show you. It works really good.
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

Mark, do you know CamClub by any chance? :S

Anyway, is your camera DV?
markymark

Post by markymark »

i don't know that club, no. my camera is vhs.