Electrical Big bang Detonation!

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Electrical Big bang Detonation!

Post by El Brenty »

Okay, to answer Twabi2's questions about how my detonator could work to make a bang, here's what I've managed to come up with:

Safety glasses are recommended at the minimum safety requirement with the preparation of this system.

"Loud Banger"

- Get a pack of Party Poppers (Although 1 will do!). Squeeze the edges slightly to bend the 2 cardboard stoppers. With something pointy, pry them out, ad the streamers between the stoppers.

- When you look into the party popper, you'll see the end of the string, with paper wrapped around it. This is the party popper squib. Loosen the other end of the string (Outside the party popper), taking care not to pull it. With a pair of pliers (Tweezers will do), very carefully pull the fuse out of the casing - From the inside out. Don't press on the paper wrap, it could set off the gunpowder.

- Now, boil up some hot water (You can use cold, but hot water acts faster, and the heat isn't quite enough to set off the gunpowder), and soak the party popper squib for about 10 mins.

- When the paper wrap can be bent, then it's ready - the gunpowder has also been soaked, so it's now safe, but still edge on the side of caution just in case.

- Place a towel around the fuse (Just in case), and carefully pull the string through. You may have to trim the end off the string to help it out. It should come out easily. You are now left with a piece of string that you can discard, and a party paper wrap with a hole through the centre – this is what you want!

- Wire up one of my detonators. For this, I'd recommend using several strands of slightly thinner wire for the fuse. The heat will be dispersed over a greater area, making sure the gunpowder goes off. Insert the fuse section through the hole in the party popper paper wrap, and wire the other end up. Get some paper glue, or wood glue, and add a bit at the ends. I'd also recommend you do this while the paper wrap is still damp, just in case inserting the wire is enough to set off the gunpowder!

- Okay, now leave the detonator in a warm place for a few hours for the paper, glue and gunpowder to thoroughly dry out. I'd even recommend you leave it in a warm airing cupboard overnight to make sure. If the gunpowder is slightly damp, it's not going to work.

- Now hook up the detonator to your switch and try it out! BANG! Works a treat!

"Mini-Firer"

- Make a party popper detonator as described above, only just under where the inner paper disc was, bore a hole in the party popper wall, and have the exit signal wire go through here. Replace the inner paper disc, then add some talk (Or fireplace ashes as has been suggested), flour or whatever into the party popper, and replace the end paper disc. Set it up in position, and you can now remotely detonate the party popper. If you bury these devices so they're just under the surface of the ground, they'll look like machine gun fire if you have them all in a row.

Good luck, post any results here! Look forward to seeing any clips. If anyone has any good ways to make something like this work properly with ring caps, let me know.
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

what is a party-popper?
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You can see what a regular Party Popper looks like here : http://www.gagworks.com/gwp_0538.htm

and here is some information about how they're made up chemically: http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/d ... s/3.2.html
Grant

Post by Grant »

You can buy those over here so cheaply it is not funny :) I use them heaps for effects and props
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Twabi2 wrote:what is a party-popper?
Don't be mistaken with a Party Pooper, which is someone who doesn't enjoy parties and brings everyone else down - a bit like the Turkish Girl I went out with for a while!
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

now i still don't know what it is...
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

a party popper is just a plastic cylinder pack with streamers and a piece of string with a roll of gunpowder covered paper at the end. when u pull the string hard through the hole at the top it creates friction on the gunpowder causing it to explode. (please note u cannot cut them in half with scissors as i tried when i was six)
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

Damn, i don't think they have such things here in belgium
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Sure you do - You'll see them on sale in the big hypermarkets there, either by the counter for New Years celebrations, or by the Party accessories sections! You'll also find them in any party shop if you've got one near you! They've gotta be called something else there, and I wouldn't know what the Afrikaans is to even start helping you on that one!
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

LOL, no, we don't have such things, that explode with streamers...
And, ehm, no hypermarkets...
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Of course you have Hypermarkets there! Dang, I've been in enough of them! They're HUGE! One of our customers supplies a couple of the chains there. I'm sure there has to be one in Aalst, or at least near-by. Just go and find out! Gosh! LOL!

I wouldn't really describe Party Poppers as exploding, more that they make a loud bang or "pop", and throw out streamers. They are only small, about 5cm long.
Twabi2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Twabi2 »

well, ehm, i know brussels well enough to know there are only 2 giant stores, but you only have that in brussels
but about the poppers:
5Cm Long, small, and paper streams out? i'll ask it in my supermarket, but i IF they have it, i don't think they will sell it (in Belgium only 2 types of explosives are alowd for minors: caps and pull-bombs (or whatever, if you pull 2 wires fast, it bangs), and some explosivs for adults, AND you have to have a license for it, exept at newyears eve)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

A WORD OF CAUTION!

My ears are ringing! Unless you enclose the squib (Which I have until now been doing for my experiments), I would recommend wearing ear protection! I had safety glasses on already, which I am also pleased for! Take care when you're hooking wires up to a switching unit with the power on!

Also, not all party poppers are the same. Avoid using the ones you get in boxes of 12. They double the string over, and it's a bugger to pull out, wet or not! If you're stuck with these, soak them thoroughly, then unpeel the paper, collect the pin-head of gunpowder that you get, remove the string, insert the wire, gunpowder in 1 spot on wire, then wrap the paper back, and let to dry. More fiddly, but works.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

They are small rocks wraped in paper.
Here watch the next post of mine
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Buy a cheap cap set which has a rocket shaped peice of metal.(you can buy it at any dollar-store).Then bunch up about 5-7 paper caps and load the rocket.
Now through the head of the rocket down on the ground and it will make a HUGE boom.
The price range is about $1.25 can. and last quite a while.

But if you really like Huge Huge noises get 15-20 caps and glue them together with flammamble glue.
Now you are ready to light it off.
Start lighting the stack and soon it will make little crackles or explosions.
And for maximum effect pour gasoline all over the stack so for sure it wont go out.
You can also use Spray-Paint , Colone , Bug Off or skateboard bearing wash called Spead Cream.
Reply anything you can come up with.
Famous
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

Are you using these modified poppers for squibs or for just for the bang? And does anyone have a clip yet? I'd like to see how these work.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

They're just for bangs. The idea is that they can be remotely detonated, and go off instantly.

You can use it as a squib, but that would depend on the application. If you're looking to blow a "bullet" hole through a shirt (with metal plates and padding underneath), it would work, so long as you increased the gunpowder content, and made especially sure that the paper wrap was secure to maintain the explosive pressure needed.

I have something in the pipeline that could be adapted as a squib that combines a blood spurt as well - ideal bullet into vein type thing! Bear with me on it, I want to get the effect right before I post all the details!
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

I have something in the pipeline that could be adapted as a squib that combines a blood spurt as well - ideal bullet into vein type thing! Bear with me on it, I want to get the effect right before I post all the details!
You ever get that finished?
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

It'll take a couple of months to finish - It'll be ready for April Fools Day!