DVD Writer (and Camera) for Xmas

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Jezba

DVD Writer (and Camera) for Xmas

Post by Jezba »

I'm looking to get a DVD Writer (for me) and/or a Digital Camcorder (for my Dad) for Xmas. I've been looking around at different models online and at local shops, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest any they know are good.

I'm looking for an external DVD Writer only because I don't have any more room for another CD/DVD Drive and I don't want to venture inside this computer, as the last computer we had went a bit funny after installing a CD Writer (could also be partially because the computer was going funny itself).

I'm also looking at Digital Camcorders, I might get both the DVD Writer and the Camera but who knows :) I'm not really sure what make or what tape 'type' to buy (Digital8, DV, Mini-DV) as I'm not sure which is best - I know the good sides of Mini-DV as I've used it on two Media Studies projects (one of which I'm in the process of making).

The price ranges that I'm interested in are in the region of £200 for the DVD Writer, and £350 for the Camcorder, these may seem kind of low, but I don't have that much to spend on these. (it's my parents that will be buying :D)
I'll post up links of some items I've found online if anyone's interested.

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by Jezba]
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

well for cameras, GET A SONY!!! and for burners; erm go to your local computer fair and see what you can get for cheap.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I would definately go with a Sony camcorder! Sony also make a great line of DVD writers. I have one in my computer right now, and I like it! They are dropping in price now, so you could probably pick one up fairly cheap now. I've seen them around a $100 USD recently. External writers tend to be a tad slower than internal, and a little bit more costly. I would only get it if you plan to move it between multiple computers.

Go mini-dv. I wouldn't spend any lower than $1000 UDS for a camcorder, seriously. If you want a decent quality picture, put the extra money in for it. It is well worth it.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

I've got a Pioneer DVD writer (A05) and it is great except it only writes DVD-R/RW. I would suggest a dual format writer that can do both DVD-R and DVD+R. Pioneer do a dual writer (A06) which is 100 pounds in the uk (150 dollars?).

Sony also do a dual format drive (DRU500?).

These are 4x speed drives although I have started to notice 8x drives appearing. There isn't much media that you can write at 8x so I would suggest saving money by going for the 4x. The money you save (100 dollars) will be the price of a new 8x drive in a years time!

As for the camcorder it really depends what you need it for. You can spend between 200 and 2000 so the choice has to be driven by your requirements.
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

Epsilon wrote:I would definately go with a Sony camcorder! Sony also make a great line of DVD writers. I have one in my computer right now, and I like it! They are dropping in price now, so you could probably pick one up fairly cheap now. I've seen them around a $100 USD recently. External writers tend to be a tad slower than internal, and a little bit more costly. I would only get it if you plan to move it between multiple computers.

Go mini-dv. I wouldn't spend any lower than $1000 UDS for a camcorder, seriously. If you want a decent quality picture, put the extra money in for it. It is well worth it.
exactly! My current camera is a sony, and I plan to get another sony. I just got a dvd writer ( which i posted about another thread here ) and it's great.. an external HP dc4000
it's fast but also was like 300 bucks :p
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]