xl1s or ag-dvx100 and pstechnik/xl1solutions questions and 2

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

bradfordproductions

xl1s or ag-dvx100 and pstechnik/xl1solutions questions and 2

Post by bradfordproductions »

Recently I have been looking to invest in a prosumer level minidv camcorder. After extensive research, I have narrowed my choices down to the canon xl1-s and the panasonic ag-dvx100. With my background (however limited) in film, I am looking for the most economically feasible approach while getting as close to a film look as possible.

Of course two major problems with dv are motion blur and the seemingly infinite dof. From what I understand, the Panasonic ag-dvx100 seems to correct the motion blur issues with the 24p capability and from the specs also has better resolution than the canon xl1s.

As for dof, the pstechnik's mini35 adapter recreates 35mm film's dof and projects it onto the dv's CCD. From all that I've read and seen of this product, it seems fantastic. However there is one major issue - it's over $6000 for the adapter.

Another option I saw to possibly correct the dof problems with dv is a mount that allows you to attatch 35mm lenses to the XL1S (this product I discovered on ebay and is found on www.xl1solutions.com). This mount is only $500, making it a very viable option. However, the screenshots and video clips on the website are very hit and miss, making me hesitant about it's capability. Then, the other night I saw 28 days later, and I was thoroughly impressed with the image quality. According to what the film claims, it uses the XL1-S with a 35mm adapter. Now is the adapter it uses more like what is found on www.xl1solutions.com or were they using the pstechnik mini35. Or is the warmth and clarity of 28 days later from being transferred back out onto film (another expense I cannot afford)?Because if I could get results like 28 days later, I would be more than happy.

To sum up this lengthy multifaceted question: for the least amount of money, which camera and adapter works best to create film like (or even 28 days later like) images. Thank you.
cjl467

Post by cjl467 »

I'm not familiar with the XL1s and it's 35mm lenses, but i'm a huge fan of the dvx100 and if i were choosing between the two, i'd go with that. I think that what you're looking for is a professional, 35mm look on a TV -- and that's precisely what panasonic set out for when they made the dvx100. the huge exposure range, option of shooting 24fps, and the film-like motion blur are three things i don't think you'll get with the xl1s even with a special lense. the dvx100 is also hand held which makes it a lot easier to get the shots you want. you seem to be concerned with your budget and the dvx100 is very practically priced, especailly considering its versatility.
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

go with the canon. It is far better than the panasonic.
iamnothing

Post by iamnothing »

If you want to get a film look, then get whichever camera you fancy (depending on your current budget and the knowledge that you'll have to buy the MA-100/200 for XLR inputs on the Canon, though you'll have an amazing amount of versatility with lenses that you won't have in the Panasonic...but for a price). To get the film look you're wanting, invest heavily in quality lighting and someone who knows the ropes for film lighting, make-up, and set decoration. This is often the reason that even the clarity of Mini-DV ends up looking like cr** home video from 1986. You can soften the image in post as long as you plan and shoot with that in mind. The 24fps is very tempting as well on the Panasonic.

Both are excellent cameras, but if you want to pick up and shoot NOW, I'd go for the Panasonic. If you want to invest in expensive add-ons that will make your film look great, then go for the Canon. I own a XL1s and don't regret buying it for an instant, but I also have a day-job that pays me well enough to buy lenses and add-ons for it.