Xvid to VCD

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Grant

Xvid to VCD

Post by Grant »

A friend gave me some movie footage on CD encoded with Xvid.
How or what would i use to convert this to a VCD?
Please help
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
MarkA87

Post by MarkA87 »

VCD requires MPG2/1 files.. I think. TMPG Enc will encode formats into these files. I found that some people had problems putting XivD onto VCD and that pictures appeared upside down and audio was out of sync etc... I think that using Nero to encode made these problems. :) TMPG Enc will encode Xvid to VCD with no problems -

Found this which may be useful to you -

To convert a Xvid AVI file using TMPGEnc go to OPTIONS ... ENVIRONMENTAL SETTINGS ... VFAPI plug-in ... change the DIRECTSHOW Multimedia File Reader priorty to 1. TMPGEnc will now convert the Xvid to VCD/SVCD with no problems. I don't extract the wav file if it has Unknown(Tag 2000) for audio. Remember to change the DIRECTSHOW back to -1 if you want to convert a DivX avi.

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html

- Mark :D
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

I have converted som Xvid stuff to VCD. It is similar to DivX. To start with I had enormous problems with audio sync. The picture was ok but the sync was out by a mile (just like in GUTS :))

I solved this by using Goldwave audio editor. I loaded the Xvid into Goldwave which ignored the video bit but pulled in the sound. I used the resample feature to resample the sound to 44.1Khz. Most DivX and XVid seems to be 48Khz and TMPEGEnc was making a mess of the conversion.

Once I did this I converted to VCD using TMPEGEnc, using the video from the XVid file but specifying the audio as the WAV file I created in Goldwave. This then worked fine. The only XVid I couldn't convert properly was one that had a bit of corruption in the middle.

I also read some stuff as mentioned by MarkA87 but I cann't really remember if that helped or not. I think I tried it but still had probs with the audio.

Anyway, give it a go and see if it sorts you out. To a certain extent it depends on the collection of codecs and stuff you've got installed. In this respect everyone's PC is different!
pip

Post by pip »

or you could just let nero encode it for you, just choose to make a vcd from the wizard and drag the file in and click burn...Nero does all the work for you!
i WOULD DO IT JUST BEFORE YOU GO TO BED THOUGH AS IT TAKES FOREVER!!
TXFilms

XVID

Post by TXFilms »

I had trouble with Upside-down, backwards, video on Xvids, converting them to dvd's. I tried re-encoding them. But I found a simpler solution.

Download FFDSHOW. it will fix the problem. It did on mine. It should work for VCD as well...