Help on capture Cards

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

cowdie

Help on capture Cards

Post by cowdie »

Hi everyone, this is the first time I have posted here. I hope i can find the info I need.
I have just bought my first DV camera. Panasonic NV-GS50B.
I want to be able to put my movies onto my laptop and create a CD to play on my DVD player.
What will be the best/cheapest card and software to do this? as I only have USB on my Laptop, i don't have a fire wire connection.
Also, I read that about 20mins of movie will be about 4gb of data on my hardfile.
Does this compress when you write to a CD? how many minutes footage can I get onto a 650mb CD?
Any help will be most appreciated!!!!!:D
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well I can't help with everything but I can with a bit. First off is it USB 1 or USB 2?

compression has diffrent methudes, you could fit oddles of .WMV on a CD but the reselution is not always that good. I was able to get 44 min of mpeg1 on a CD, it come to about 599MB, its a good estemate that with say mpeg1 10min equels 100mb. Those are the two formates that I'm fermiler with. And to play it in your DVD player your going to have to find a program that will export to Video CD (VCD) which is basicly a poor mans DVD. Also note that some players will not play VCD's.

I know that wasn't everything but I hope that helped.
cowdie

Post by cowdie »

Thanks for the info...............I have to be honest, I dont know if my laptop is USB1 or 2.
I will find out , but what capture cards etc would you recomend for either one?
My DVD player plays VCD fine, so it looks like that is the format I will be wanting to put them into
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

If you are shoting DV then get a firewire PCMCIA card for the card bus slot of the laptop.....
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands