An idea I will use for live action powertool attacks

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Solomon Cloud

An idea I will use for live action powertool attacks

Post by Solomon Cloud »

I found this will work on some inanimate objects that would somewhat act like a humans skin. it is to mimic an effect of a hedge trimmer sawing the side of a humans torso. and will work with a live actor I just tested it on fake stuff first but it does work.

It involves a blood filled baloon or something that is sealable and easy to break. this will be infront of a protective barrier (foam mostlikely to mimic skin chunks). and behind that is a layer of plastic (like shoulder gaurds for american style foot ball etc.) this will allow a tearing through clothing of the machine to saw through pieces of the blood burst and shred the foam.

But safety is still a must and the actor that is being sawed through has to know the dynamics of the weapon you are using.

In this case a hedge trimmer is designed to cut apart smaller limbs of bushes and so on . So it will be impossible for it to make a gut through a piece of thick plastic, but make sure the attacking actor know's that the trimmer could potentially slip and hit vulnarable parts of the body.

Using a solid motion the trimmer will mostlikely stall and stop cutting (jammed). once that has happened to not try to continue the cut (why would you).

This technige can be used with basicly a hedge trimmer a weed wacker etc. tools that are not desgined to cut through large items.

hope that makes sense and you can but the protective armor anywere clothing will cover up the guard.

NOTE use black plastic so it looks like a hole was made not an incision to well something white.

[Edited on 12-11-2003 by Solomon Cloud]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

cool, is there anyway that you could post a clip that shows an example of this?
CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

Yeah, I want to see this inventive idea in action. Sounds cool.
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
Solomon Cloud

Post by Solomon Cloud »

I'll try and find a way to get it on the net (I don't pay for my web service FREE so it is very limited). and I have 56k. I will try to get some pics and maybe a compressed mov file after I finish my film. most the testing was not recorded (to save tape and all).

But look for it in about 3-4 weeks I hope. plus I have to pay my work to use the editing suites etc. but don't worry it works.
Blind Metal Inc..
[url=http://www.blindmetal.com/]Blind Metal Site[/url]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You can actually buy "skin" coloured foam. If you score it, and paint between the cuts in red paint, when it flies out with the gushing blood, it'll look great! Good idea for the effect! Can't wait to see how it works!
Just be careful with this effect though folks - Weed whackers (Strimmers here), and hedge trimmers can still remove fingers!
dmosher

Post by dmosher »

We have done something similar to this using a victims leg and a handsaw. the lower leg is buried, and a pro replaces it in the pants. A freezer bag of blood is placed under a the pants with athin later of latex over it to look like skin. put a small mark on the pants (I used a dirt smudge) to mark where the blade (an old dull one will work better) will go. Roll film and carfully cut through the pants, the saw will shoot blood everywhere, look disgusting and very realistic.
(warning be very careful when using real powertools, test and prepare everyone on the set for the events in great detail). Also knwo the locations of localhospitals, (just in case) heheh

D
You'll eat it and you'll like it.. or you'll starve!