Recording sound during the shoot.

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

jumpyhu

Recording sound during the shoot.

Post by jumpyhu »

Hi!

I'm working on a nill budget slasher film and am using 2 VHS camcorders to shoot.

What would be the best way to record the audio, and what specific sound-related things might we need to consider at this location (an abandoned warehouse).

Should we use a boom and connect a ominidirectional mic to one of the camcorders, or do a DAT or Minidisc recording instead... what sort of mic setup should we deal with?

Finally, I'm using Adobe Premiere to edit the film and am wondering the most effective way to get the audio synced with the video (clapboard, maybe?).

Is there a site with tutorials and techniques related to recording audio on the set when your budget is comparable to that of Fred Sanford?

Thanks for any/all help, I really appreciate it :)
hanasand

Post by hanasand »

Passing the ball to some other sound guys.. I don't know much about this..

Except that my on-set sound mostly sucks and I like to voice-over it afterwards during editing..

Did you know that 90% of the sound from the LOTR movies had been added in the editing process?
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

A lot of sound is recorded afterwards as opposed to on set. You could just film it all in-camera and replace whatever ou need to replace? Sorry I'm never really fussed about sound on my stuff, as long as you can hear what we're saying I'm happy :D

Did you know, in Bollywood only one film has ever had it's sound recorded during production? A stupid fact for you all there!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
jumpyhu

Recording audio during filming

Post by jumpyhu »

hmmm... well, it's very unlikely that i'll be able to get the actors to show up for a foley session after filming.

how's this for an idea:

shoot the film with a boom mic attached to the camcorder? would i need an XLR balance box, or will the XLR to 1/4" adapter be just fine?
Grant

Post by Grant »

The boom setup should be fine. Just do some test recordings first and check the levels and quality. Not sure about the XLR though.
I use a lot of natural sound and addinn or modify what i have to during post production
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
erik1185

Post by erik1185 »

I USE A XLR TO 1/4 AND IT WORKS FINE FOR MY CAMERA
DoDGe

Post by DoDGe »

what if u used a mini disc recorder, record all the sound with a few mics attatched if u can. Edit the movie, cut off one camera, then start the other camera - on the computer. Cutting them at the same time, so the sound isnt out. Edit it all on the comp, and then make the video file with the sound attached - also if u can, use ulead sound editing stuff to remove silence, to make the sound better
[url=http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/forum/member.php?action=viewpro&member=DoDGe]DoDGe[/url]
[url=http://www.home-editing.cjb.net]Home Editing[/url]
[email]dodge2k2@hotmail.com[/email]
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

You'll need to take the XLR down to 1/8" rather than 1/4".
jumpyhu

thanks!

Post by jumpyhu »

lots of great info, thanks so much for the responses! i went XLR to 1/8" through some sort of adapter that was meant for the job. i ended up with an electrical field sounding buzz throughout the film. it'll do, though. just so homegrown sounding ;)

hu
Lorenzo_amateur_prods

Post by Lorenzo_amateur_prods »

I have the same problem, i decided to record seprately using boom and minidisc but i dunno if my dynamic cardiod mic will do the job and im pretty low on cash. Can anyone suggest a cheap directional mic or another solution? (Camera has no mic input, i could reqire it, but i dont dare)
-Cause i could just as well go and live in the hills, George...
-You could just as well go to hell. Shut up and sleep.

Lorenzo Lev
Lorenzo Amateur Productions
http://www.filmmaking.150m.com (Not finished yet)
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I'd definetly go for an external microphone. So many videos are spoiled by poor sound! Most camcorders have an external microphone socket.

If you can (And have a spare person lurking around), go for a fluffy boom microphone, takes away the wind noise, but like loads of old 80's TV shows, MAKE SURE THE MIC DOESN'T SHOW IN FRAME! It really spoils a shot! Oh, and watch for shadows!

If you can plug the microphone into the camcorder, it'll save having to dub the sound afterwards - Something that helps tremendously when you're using the old analogue method!

Clapboards are a must in my book, and as foxwood mentioned recently in some idle banter we were having, they are also good for doing the sound check!

You can set up remote microphones as well, that'll help for longer distance shots! One last thing to remember - if you're using these, the actors will have to be facing the mic, otherwise, the sound will drown out into the background!
Moderating behind the bushes!