Canon XL-1S

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Canon XL-1S

Post by slimdog55 »

Anybody got it? I've read the Specs for it and everything. Looks like my dream camcorder. So if anybody's got it, are you happy with it?(If it's a $3000 camcorder, or more, you better be) Does it shoot in real 16x9 mode?(AKA widescreen) I would really want this more than the Sony DCR-VX2000.
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

I own it and I love it. :D

Like the Sony it only has 4:3 aspect CCDs, so it achieves it's "true" widescreen (ie, anamorphic 16:9 without the black bars) by stretching the middle part of the picture. However, it is generally considered that thanks to the resolution of its CCDs and Pixel Shift technology, that it does this better than the Sony. Whereas most people would tell you to crop to 16:9 in post when shooting with other cameras, they recommend you shoot 16:9 with the XL1-S.

This is the camera they shot 28 Days Later with, in case you didn't know. The picture quality really does push the limits of the DV format. The sheer volume of available accessories makes this camera a great long term investment also. Its modular design means you can change any part of it - there are dozens of different lenses and adaptors to allow you to use 35mm lenses also. You should grab the XL1S screensaver from Canon's website, hundreds of differently configured cameras will scroll across your screen. :)

As long as you don't need a flip-out LCD, then you will love the camera. Please feel free to ask me any specific questions about it you like :)

Here's a link to the XL1/XL1S watchdog website as well.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I have used those befere and they are great cams, worth the money, but I haven't seen them for less then $4000. They shoot in thier form of 16:9, but so does the DVX-2000, and it looks fine, actualy just as good. Ya the only real draw back is no LCD screan, but if you have the cash, by all means, even though I like the Sony better, ie thats what I own.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

I know it doesn't come with a LCD screen. Who cares. Can't you connect a little external LCD screen via RCA ports? Thats what I would do. And what do you mean it shoots in Widescreen without the black bars? Is there a way you can put the black bars in?
TimXL1

Post by TimXL1 »

Originally posted by slimdog55
I know it doesn't come with a LCD screen. Who cares. Can't you connect a little external LCD screen via RCA ports? Thats what I would do. And what do you mean it shoots in Widescreen without the black bars? Is there a way you can put the black bars in?
I mean it shoots anamorhpically, like a camera with a 16:9 CCD would, sqashing the image horizontally to store it on the tape. All you do is tell your editor that your source is anamorphic and you can edit proper widescreen. Or you can turn it off, shoot in 4:3, and add black bars, its up to you. Or you can do both and achieve any aspect ratio you like!

Personally I like shooting 16:9 because my TV is 16:9 :)
GLiO

Post by GLiO »

Basically, it shoots in 16:9. Don't worry about it.
[url=http://fs.glio.net]Five Star Productions[/url]
iamnothing

Post by iamnothing »

I own one. I like it and the PD-150 (Sony) for different reasons. I love the adaptability of the XL1s (as long as you have the money), but the shots you can achieve with the pull out screen on the PD-150 are great. Especially if you have boom cables and whatnot that the cameraman has to deal with on top of a RCA cable connected to a LCD screen that adds a goofy balance to the camera if you're used to using it with the MA-200 XLR adapter.

As for widescreen, you can tell that it's a conversion, but with an anamorphic lens ($$$) and shooting in 4:3, you'll get a pretty shot that you can use. Or you can just shoot and take care of it in post.

Before you buy your camera, look at what you want to do with it. Do you want high quality sound without buying another add-on? Do you want the expandability for the future?

If you want one that is great out of the box, I'd probably still recommend the PD-150 or the Panasonic DVX1000 (I think that's the model number...it shoots in 24fps, 25fps, and 30fps). But it has a more limited expandability for the future? If you want a great camera that you'll be spending a lot of money on to get a bunch of really cool lenses and add-ons and whatnot, then go for the Canon.

Both can make your movie very well (depending on your cameraman's skill). It just depends on your personal focus and your means.
nigel101

Post by nigel101 »

WHATS THE different between XL1 and XL1S ???????
WWW.ALIENRISING.COM
[img]http://a745.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/20/m_06109da51426e24555193bf1d6acfb00.jpg[/img]
WWW.MAKINGTHEFILM.NET
iamnothing

Post by iamnothing »

The XL1 is the original version. The XL1s is the newer camera.

XL1 Watchdog

There's a lot of great information there.
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

I personally have not used it and I am looking into one. So maybe I will get one. Yet I have heard alot of negitive things about it yet you make it all sound great.

Does anyone know what the cheapest you can find one is?
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
iamnothing

Post by iamnothing »

I have no idea the cheapest you'll find it.

It's a great camera, just like the Sony and Panasonic cameras in its caliber.