GORE Makeup/Special FX - NEED HELP

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

peepster13

GORE Makeup/Special FX - NEED HELP

Post by peepster13 »

I have been reading the boards for some time now, a lot of people have great ideas, so I figured I would seek some help by posting. I am going to be producing a short horror film and in it a character has his arm up the back of another character, what is happening is he is screwing around with the guys spine and controlling his motor functions. Anyway, any ideas on how to make a nice looking "OPEN BACK, With interior spine, guts, etc.?" I appreciate all feedback, and if you want to know more about the story i would be glad to share.
Spike

Post by Spike »

thats sounds REALLY gore!! well i guess you would just use some of that latex skin, and use a lot red painting or something like that!
CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

Well, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have another horror buff, like myself, aboard. Sounds like an interesting scene.

Here's a website that sells fake skeletons and parts of skeletons.

SKELETON PARTS FOR SALE

You could probably mess around with the fake spines and rib cages a bit and maybe fit them somehow onto your actor (i don't really know how you would do that) and fill in the open spaces of skin with some gore makeup (fake blood, some kind of prosthetics, liquid latex, maybe even some animal parts, etc....).

That's all I can really think of right now.
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
Grant

Post by Grant »

yeah you could mock something up with some real bone and spine from the butchers and lots of gore
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
dmosher

Post by dmosher »

Th eeasiets way is to start with an old lab or fake skeleton, then build up stiated muscle with latex in strips (painted). When I am doing a dry body (dead for some time or emablmed) I like to used dark red, blus and green thin woven yarn for veins and details.
My best advice is to invest a a few very detailed anatomy books now. They will be invaluable when it comes to doing body and gore makeup.
Be warned if you are using real bones, I always boil them well to remove any bacteria and to make them "safe" to handle. Otherwise use gloves and caution.
D
You'll eat it and you'll like it.. or you'll starve!
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

how much do those lab skeletons cost?
anyone know?
Formerly Jowka

"If people looked at the stars every night, I bet they'd live differently"
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

for a full, bucky skeleton (4th quality), the price is about 100$. this is the best quality/price skeleton you can get.
for a 4th quality spine and pelvis, it's 40$. and for a limbless but otherwise complete skeleton, it's 75$ bucks. Here, of course, I'm talking about anatomical chart company's bucky skeletons.

go take a look at http://www.anatomical.com

EDIT: I haven't been at anatomical.com for a long time, and I've just taken a look; the full bucky skeleton(4th quality) is now at 160$
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
Bocca

Post by Bocca »

woah, rip off...I'll steal one from 6th Form or just build a body myself if i need one.
Formerly Jowka

bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

yeah, it's quite expensive, but the quality is incredible; such skeletons, when without the small defects that makes them 4th quality(discoloration, crooked jawbone, small details like that) retails for more than 300$ bucks! so if you're looking for realism, buckies are the way to go. for only one movie, 160$ is big money, but they are very durable, so it'll last many years(and many movies!)

Bocca

Post by Bocca »

are they made of plastic? Ive not had much experience with them lol.

But i think it would be cool to have it like...melt under an acid for an effect in a film im thinking of doing. But $160 is a bit much for acid-play...
Formerly Jowka

bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

yep, they are made of shatter proof thermoplastic; not the same cheap stuff used in the blow-molded 10$ plastic skeltons you can find in most stores near halloween, tho! their plastic is pretty thick.

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Welcome.
I would suggest either watching blade2 in the night club, it had some guy tearing the hell out of this chicks back. Im not sure how they do it, but u might be able to figure it out.
Hide or fight for your life?