Slow Motion on a Sony Mini DV

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

shaman_au

Slow Motion on a Sony Mini DV

Post by shaman_au »

Hi all, this is my first submission. Be Nice (smile)
We are in the process of getting our first low budget feature in order. We are using a sony Mini dv camera. The problem is, after we have dumped the dv footage into Premiere and start playing around with the SPEED of the footage. Slow motion looks chunky and we get this GHOST look between frames of anyone moving. We are trying to achieve some cool effects like speed ramping, But this is really making it look crappy. This is a PAL version of a MINI DV it's my mates camera so i can't tell you what the model number is off hand. But I can say it's one of the most popular SONY MINI DV's.
I remember reading somewhere about MiniDV's and FULL FRAME and HALF FRAME capturing. Where FULL FRAME is suppose to make it look more like film and smoother, (but becomes a little blurry like film).
Can Anyone help, It would be much appreciated. Also If there is anyone from NSW Australian out there who wants to be invovled in our little WW2 film drop me an email.

-brendan
mark_essex_87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mark_essex_87 »

sorry i dont own a sony mini dv so i dont know - but i use premiere for slow motion and i dont see a problem with it. :)
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

hi! welcome to the boards!

is your computer running fast?:D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds like you may need to de-interlace the footag first or at leat play around with the field options
shaman_au

Slow Motion with Sony mini DV - also DAY for night

Post by shaman_au »

Thanks for the quick replys guys. you have restored my faith in forums.

ADAM wrote:
need to de-interlace the footag first or at least play around with the field options

Okay I think we have been playing with the de-interlacing. I think that helps. But what do you mean with "field options".

A lot of this stuff will be filmed at night unless we can work out a good way to shoot DAY for NIGHT. Any suggestions from you brilliant minds would be an absolute help.

Has any one had any past experiences with shooting DAY for NIGHT. If so, what was the outcome. Do you shoot in the daylight and make it NIGHT afterwards via special eefects filters and premiere. Or is there a process to do via the camera.

All help will be much appreciated.
Adam

Post by Adam »

DV stores subsequent frames using upper and lower fields.

Problems if you are shooting an night. The camera will need a longer exposure and will therefore be prone to blurring with movement. You will need lighting at night to stand a chance of a decent result.

Problems with day for night:-
Watch out for shadows these should be there if it is night.
when shoot something with the sky wait for a day with a constitient colour ie full cloud cover. It makes the work in post easier.

[Edited on 12-10-2003 by Adam]