Are there filters available for my camcorder or is there sof

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

MustangMatt302

Are there filters available for my camcorder or is there sof

Post by MustangMatt302 »

Is there filters I can buy to attach to my camcorder (Panasonic hand-held)? Some people and I are looking into making a Halo type movie. We want the image captured to look as clear as possible. I have Pinnacle 8 with capture card. If there aren't any filters to attach to my camera, is there software I can buy that will make the captured video seem more life-like and not that home video-ish haze to it?

Thanks
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

For one, you could take your footage and go into Premiere Pro. There, you could adjust anything you want to enhance it. I've done a series of short clips, and it seriously looks like film! It takes a lot of experimentation and time of get what you want, but it is really worth it! I would go with Premiere Pro for what you are trying to do.

I don't believe any filters on the camera would help. Usually it is the limitations on your camera. Most consumer camcorders are a pain in the butt when you try to push the limits on making it look professionally done. Remember to use LOTS of light and filter it in editing. This will greatly reduce the grain-looking exposure. Try that to make your picture a little more crisp. If you are willing to spend the money, try upgrading your camera to something like a Sony :D

Your best bet is to commence a bunch of tests and experiment! Hope this helps.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

A couple of simple things to try... always white balance, shoot as much on manual settings as you can for exposre, iris, shutter, whatever you can control. Three biggies here, use manual focus, learn how to use back focus on any shots you will be racking ( zooming on) and zoom is a no-no unless it adds to the story! To get the best zoom focus, manually focus on the scene at the highest zoom you will be using, then when you pull back wide, your focus will hold. Focusing wide then going tight will often cause problems with focus slipping, and finally, shoot off sticks. The tripod is your friend! If your cam allows you to select the recording mode ( like SP EP LP ) always shoot on SP, or the shortest time per tape. I've heard this isn't an issue with DV, but I just can't believe there isn't some loss, but it is important on any analog format. Pinnacle 8 is a very capable editor, always do your caps at 29.97 FPS ( for NTSC caps anyway, correct me if I'm wrong but I beleieve PAL is 25 FPS ) and the largest frame size you can. Use a good cap card that doesn't drop frames. Some of the cheaper USB cap devices just don't have the horsepower to capture high frame rates at good quality, so thateven good video gets hammered during cap. Give us some details on cam, cap setup etc and maybe we can come up with some other ideas...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The PAL standard is 25 fps.
Like what Raptor said, the tripod is your friend. But don't limit yourself to only the tripod. Experiment with some methods of moving the camera around... good tip: unless you are making a documentary type film, NEVER shoot handheld!! Unecessary jerky camera movements will spoil the movie!

If your camera uses 8mm tape. Buy Evaporated Metal tape from Sony. Seriously, it will enhance your picture whether it is HI8 or Dig8. It may be twice the price, but the end result will be a bit nicer.

Spend some time checking out the other threads here, it's worth it!
MustangMatt302

Post by MustangMatt302 »

Alright. The cam is a Panasonic DV Camcorder (Model No. PV-DV102). I also bought Adobe Premiere 6.5. I'm screwing around with Premiere right now. I'm trying to figure out how to make the image into the movies-like image. Any ideas?
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Bump up the contrast and gamma. Those alone will enhance your image extremely well. Then set down your reds, and bump up your greens and blues. Also, deinterlace the footage! And lastly, you may want to add a slight, SLIGHT, blur (possibly gaussian).
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Personally, I don't like the blur. It's all your choice as the editor. I would definately adjust the contrast, gamma, alphas, and brightness. Play around with deinterlacing you footage. Experiment around until you get what you like. Once you are able to adjust it so it looks like film, you will be the master! :cool:

Hmm, Experimentation seems to be my ultimate suggestion in this forum...

Another thing to remember, not all movies need to be big budget. Look around, and use what you've got if you need props. Anyways, not trying to be pushy here, just have fun!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

You have to expereament so that you get it exactly the way you want it.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

White balance against light blue, or use a 1/8blue gel during white balance to bring up the warm tones.
The UNDERGROUND
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

What about cold tones, I need that for my next project.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Originally posted by foxwood
What about cold tones, I need that for my next project.
White balance against a light orange card, or balance thru a light orange gel.
The UNDERGROUND
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

If you want to get the opposite tone, simply inverse your card color! Once again, just experiment!
MustangMatt302

Post by MustangMatt302 »

:o Whoa. All that stuff flew over my head. Where do I go in Premiere to use cold/warm tones, "gels", and play around with deinterlace? Second, how to I save my project to .avi and watch it to see how it looks after the previews?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Gels are somthing real that you put over lights and will help you adjust the white balance of your cam before you shoot.

Other then that I know squat about premeare.

I didn't get to read all of it but this might help you with your predicament.

[Edited on 7-10-2003 by foxwood]
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

To deinterlace, right click on your clip. I believe you then go to "Video Options" and then "Field Options." To export an AVI, go to "File > Export > Movie" then go to settings and select DV AVI or whatever...
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Originally posted by MustangMatt302
:o Whoa. All that stuff flew over my head. Where do I go in Premiere to use cold/warm tones, "gels", and play around with deinterlace? Second, how to I save my project to .avi and watch it to see how it looks after the previews?
You use the gels or card to white balance the camera BEFORE you shoot, much easier to clean up a good image in post than it is to try to make a good image in post.:) You can use the gels, rather than over the lights ( what they are really designed for) but over the lens when you white balance, then remove the gel to shoot, will fool the camera into balancing to the desired effect. That means you will have to manually white balance, not using a preset or auto balance.
The UNDERGROUND
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

That is a skill that many amitures have lost is the white balanceing, hell even I don't really know how to do it. Even though I got a nifty effect through half of Vengeance by shooting a cloudy outside day with the auto balance set for inside light. Then the sun came out and fu*ked it up.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Originally posted by foxwood
That is a skill that many amitures have lost is the white balanceing, hell even I don't really know how to do it. Even though I got a nifty effect through half of Vengeance by shooting a cloudy outside day with the auto balance set for inside light. Then the sun came out and fu*ked it up.
White balance, depth of field, full rack in focus, exposure... the auot-everything cams have tended to kill off a lot of the creative camera tricks that can give a project a 'custom shot' feel... everything comes out with the same cookie cutter look.... racks in and out have that 'searching for focus look ' etc.... sigh... makes me yearn for the days when you had to set everything LOL.. ok maybe not THAT bad yet:)
The UNDERGROUND
mutka86

Post by mutka86 »

If your camera uses 8mm tape. Buy Evaporated Metal tape from Sony. Seriously, it will enhance your picture whether it is HI8 or Dig8. It may be twice the price, but the end result will be a bit nicer.
now do they make that type for miniDV cameras?