DECIDING ON SOFTWARE

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

CORPSE GRINDER

DECIDING ON SOFTWARE

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

The weird old program (i don't even know the name) we used to use to edit our films doesn't work anymore, and we want to invest in one that's a lot better.

A guy I know has told me that Adobe Premier is pretty cool and so is Lightwave. But I just don't know enough about the software kind of thing. Please HELP!!
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well premeare is good, and lightwave is a special effects pacage. I would say get Sonic foundry's Vagas Video because it is extremly simple, very power and just a great editing sweet. Hasen't yet let me down. And I have heard that the new version is really good. Comes with my highist recomendations.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Permier is an extremely good NLE, but also try looking into Sony Vegas 4 like foxwood said. (I know I'm always raving about this program, but I'm practically in love with it) Here is a comparison of some of the features of Vegas, Premiere 6, Ulead Media Studio, and Avid Xpress

One disadvantage to Vegas is that it does not have a really fancy titler like Premiere, but if you are looking to do professional videos, all that "in your face" text is usually no good anyway. However, there is a Boris Red plugin for Vegas that just came out, but unfortunately it is rather expensive :(

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

That place has a killing price for Vagas 4, damn I would buy it from there if the ungrade wasn't a bit cheeper.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

well my personal recommendation is adobe premiere in version 6.5 or higher. it is very powerful. at first i didn't understand it, but i used one tutorial and then i taught myself how to work the whole program. once you learn the basics you can teach yourself to do anything with it. not only that but tutorials for premiere practically grow on trees. sonic foundry and adobe are both great companys with great software. it just depends on how far you want your software to take you. premiere can do a few more things than vegas video but costs a lot more. i recommend premiere but it really depends more on your needs.
Peter Cote
Founder of Breakout Films

[img]http://i07.thefacebook.com/pics/3/0/n11400374_4237.jpg[/img]
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

But vegas can also do a few more things than premiere... (ie. advanced sound enhancement) ;)

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by U.S.Amateurfilmaker]
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yes they both have their pros and cons. i think what i would do if i could start over is get vegas video and after effects because then anything that vegas video doesnt have after effects would have. but i would still have the simplicity of vegas video.
Peter Cote

foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

exactly, i your working with lots of sound Vagas is the way to go, because of the way it is set up.
CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

wow, that's a lot of money. The one we had before, we were fortunate enough to have had it already on the computer when we found it (it's really a mystery of how it got there).

I'm pretty new to most of these programs cause I've been using my old one, where all we could pretty much do is put scenes in order.

So, what can vegas and premier do? Can they have music dubbed in? Can I piece my out of continuity scenes in order? What about scrolling credits?
"This is when I saw the dark figures moving about in the woods. I should have never tampered with the 'Book Of The Dead.' I now know that whatever it is I have resurrected through this book, is coming for me."

--The Evil Dead
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

all of that can be done in both
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

can be done in both and much much more. those just the basics of what these programs can do.
Peter Cote

CORPSE GRINDER

Post by CORPSE GRINDER »

well that's really cool. But that is a big investment to make. It's about $500 (U.S. currency). That's a lot of dough. Some green that I deffinitely do not have right now!

--The Evil Dead
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well that is what they cost, but a good piece of software can last for years. Vagas is great for dubbing in sound and music, because premeare just shows a mark on the timeline when sound is put down. Vagas, as well puts down a bar but it shows you the pecks a dips in the music, well any sound, and I found found this invaluade to doing things like quickly getting ride of my calling "action", or cutting toghter a two angled conversation. Also if your in school you can get Vagas really cheep, I can't find it right now, but will look during posting and get back to ya, but I saw a site that was selling vagas 4 ($675) for $300.

I looked and looked and the link is just up near the top if this thred. $375 thats a steal.

[Edited on 27-9-2003 by foxwood]
epsonink

Post by epsonink »

What is the website for Vegas is because if i type in www.vegas.com i might not get something good.
-Epsonink

Tought by Carnage7p
I love movies of all types
Want to learn much more
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

vegas video is made by a company called sonic foundry. so go to www.sonicfoundry.com. lucky for foxwood, sony just bought out sonic foundry so now he is only tied to one company.
Peter Cote

U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Well I'm only tided to one compay for my cam and editing, we won't go into games...blizzard... or any other affeleations that I have.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ok Corpse Grinder, now you're really getting me worried with that avatar! :D
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah where do you find these things. they are really disturbing.
Peter Cote

iamnothing

Post by iamnothing »

Isn't that Ash from Evil Dead 2 when he gets possessed?