Lightstands

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Lightstands

Post by slimdog55 »

I went to B&H Photo Video Pro Audio Home Page and looked at the lightstands. I was woundering if you can put any kind of a light a the lightstand. Can you guys tell me which cheap one to get?(Light sourse and lightstand). Thanks.
B&H Photo Video Pro Home Page
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

We have generally used an old tripod ( or you can just go buy Lower end pods) as a light stand. As far as heads, make a trip to your local home improvement center and check out the halogen 12V garden light bulbs. You will need to also find a couple of bases for the lamp style you choose. If vented properly, the lamps can be fitted to PVC pipe to act as a lamp housing. Use black Foamcore board for barn doors on your lamps. The advantage to using the 12 volt lamps is even if you are shooting where AC is available, you can power them from a couple of 3-5 AMP pwoer supplies ( available at Radio shack or other electronics shops) In the field, poer them from car batteries, or even get a couple of 12V brick batteries for RC cars or full size VHS cams to power the lamps. I put together a couple of 55 watt field lights for less than 15 bucks each ( sans stands) that work great, and the lamps are available up to 100+ watts. For really heavy lighting apps we use a couple of 250 watt Halogen work lights with reflectors. ( try a sliver gray umbrella with a coat of flat white spray paint on the inside or white foamcore) Also you can get a clamp-on lamp socket and use photofloods, another relatively inexpensive setup. Just make sure the socket is rated to handle the wattage of the photo-flood or you can bring new meaning to the term "hot light".
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You can get 12V portable halogen flood-lamps that run off a car battery, it's easy to set up an array of these. They normally go for sale here from car auto-parts stores for about £10 each. You can then mount the array onto a tripod - Ideal for filming outdoors where the lighting isn't too brilliant!

Only thing to consider when using non-filming lighting is definition of shadows, and colour cast.

Fortunately as far as I know, the colour cast can be tweaked in editing software!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Originally posted by CamClub
You can get 12V portable halogen flood-lamps that run off a car battery, it's easy to set up an array of these. They normally go for sale here from car auto-parts stores for about £10 each. You can then mount the array onto a tripod - Ideal for filming outdoors where the lighting isn't too brilliant!

Only thing to consider when using non-filming lighting is definition of shadows, and colour cast.

Fortunately as far as I know, the colour cast can be tweaked in editing software!
I would much rather white balance based on the light when shooting the film, much easier than trying to color correct for lighting in post :) just keep a clean, white blank sheey of paper handy, or if you want to really tweak out the color , go to your local photo shop and buy a white card to use for your balance settings
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Good point, I've often seen filmers using reflectors when filming around here!
Moderating behind the bushes!