Canon MV1 Camcorder Problem

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Canon MV1 Camcorder Problem

Post by Matt »

A guy at work has got a problem capturing via firewire onto his PC. He has lent me his Canon MV1 PAL camcorder to see if I can the same problem.

Problem : While capturing via firewire frames are lost (about 6 per second) and there is large amount of white noise on the preview screen and resulting AVI file.

The analogue output from the camera is fine as is the picture on the LCD screen.

I connected the camera using my Firewire. I attempted to capture and saw the same problem. Note the white distortions in the example below :

I put one of my DV tapes into the Canon and the problem was still there.

I put the tape from the Canon into my camcorder and it captured fine.

Therefore it must be the camera. I eliminated the Firewire cable, the tape and the PC as sources of problems by using mine rather than my colleagues.

Anyone else seen this problem? Not sure whether the camera is in warranty but it looks like it is faulty.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds pretty terminal matt maybe he will consider using it as a stunt camerafor free
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Could the firewire connection be a different standard to the one you've got? Like SCSI, Firewire is backwards compatible, however loses functionality in this event.

Are you sure it's really your friend's camcorder??? You can tell us if you're having problems, we're here to help! There's no need to be ashamed - I to have once asked for help here - It's a really good and friendly forum.

;)
Moderating behind the bushes!
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

His camera used to work just fine on his PC, the problem suddenly appeared.
Are you sure it's really your friend's camcorder???
Quite sure. Do you think I would be seen dead with a Canon ;)
It's a really good and friendly forum.
Yeah so I've noticed. That's why I joined :P

I'll suggest the stunt camera idea. Apparently his wife bought it behind his back without consulting him. A recipe for disaster if ever I saw one.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

sounds like it is the camcorder, i hope its under worentry because I think its fubar, but thats my opinion, see he should have gotten himself a sony.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Matt said that he used both his cable and his friends, so I don't think its the cable.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I'd take professional advice on this one. It could be the cable socket on the camera.
Moderating behind the bushes!
Adam

Post by Adam »

The kind of noise looks like it keeps repeating, my guess is that the line driver for the DV signal is faulty. Alltough the driver is probably integrated into the rest of the cameras electronics.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

The noise is weird. It is made up of little white rectangles. In pause mode the picture is still, some of the rectangles are still but half of them flicker.

Did wonder if the socket is faulty.

Maybe I should open it up and have a poke around before I had it back :D