Capturing video with timecode

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

nissid

Capturing video with timecode

Post by nissid »

Hi, I need to get set up to make music for a film. The film producers are giving me a Hi-Fi VHS with LTC (longitudinal timecode) on one audio channel. The other audio channel will contain the dialog/sound effects.

I want to capture the film (or parts of it) on the computer as an AVI file. I therefore need a capture card (any suggestions??)for the video and already have the audio card. Now when capturing the video, I need the computer to be in sync with the Hi-Fi VHS LTC. For instance if capturing a scene of the movie at exactly 54:00:23 (as transmitted by the LTC signal of the VHS), the computer also has to be recording at exactly 54:00:23.

I cannot afford to be out of sync or have discrepancies between the original film and the captured version as the music will also be out of sync. Is there any software that can analyze the captured audio channel and recover the timecode so that the video plays at the right time? If not, what method or equipment would you recommend me to achieve this task?

Thanks for your help!!

Nic
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Woah! Longitudinal timecode, now there's a new word for me... I just import, add audio dubs, music, etc, but channel audio analyization and LTC decoding...Over my head... sorry
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios