The Bridge

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

The Bridge

Post by Gyro »

- Shot on a Canon XL1-S.
- Edited with Final Cut Pro.
- It was shot last fall, and the final edit was rendered this January.
- Let me know what you think.

@seanbagley
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: The Bridge

Post by Jperson »

Notes While Watching: (Spoiler, so to see I'm using A Matt technique, highlight)

Not too keen on the music. Nice, you used a dog :D. What salary did the dog get? When the artist was filming it repeated the same sort of shots about 50 times! Nice strafing overhead shot. Nice use of hospital location. Oooh, a comparison almost between the man and the dog? While the woman was upset with red dog collar there was an accidental jump cut (or it looked that way) before the actual jump cut (by the way that cut was very good). Now we return to the painter/artist guy? Where did you get all those pictures from that he was meant to have painted? Another dog! Wow! :D The girl looks a littl stretched in these shots. Oh and an artist and different and better music. What is that music? Oh and the man is in a wheel chair. A bit of over exposure, on purpose I presume (hope)? A bit, what am I saying? Ah! They all meet up, clever. Good. Nice idea! They're swapping the gifts. Ah ha, nice. I get it all, except the dude who got the painting and the dog come off some what finacially better. :D

Nice. Very good, I was skeptical of the music at the beggining but it panned out quite good. There are a few little things that need polishing I think...but I can't really lay my finger on them. Also nice opening titles. Great idea.
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thanks for the comments. It's a tad bit different from what I usually do.
@seanbagley
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

that was quite clever, well planned out and good locations

didn't understand the trading of belongings at the end, a dog for a football, is she crazy
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Nice. I was too skeptical with the music. But it works.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
DarkElastic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DarkElastic »

Nice film mate. Its meaning was clear without any talking. It was a pleasure to watch. I thought the music fit, but always a shame when its not your own, or you've not gained the copyright.

Keep it up.
O. M. G.

Orkney Movie Group
www.orkneymoviegroup.co.uk
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

Just a couple of things that annoyed me,

Try not to cut his head off (I mean out of frame) because it doesn't look quite right.

Why does everyone have their mouths open with stupid grins?
joe

Post by joe »

Hey man.

The idea of this was pretty interesting. I just think that it could have been executed in about half the time.

It seemed as if you didn't have a clear vision of what you wanted the cinematography to be like. JW if you storyboarded for this or not? The shots felt a bit random in some parts (mainly the park scenes), but more planned out in others (hospital). Also, at the end, there was some pretty overexposed shots, especially with the guy in the wheelchair. Intentional possibly, but if so, what was the purpose?

The beginning music got a bit monotonous, but again I think that was just because it was too lengthy for the material. The ending music was good to pull it all together. As stated earlier, its a bummer if you didn't have musical rights, but life goes on.

Congrats on actually getting something done without a gun involved (as seems to be the pop trend these days).

Joe
www.Lemonus.com
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

Idea is pretty good without voice yet we know what the story is about
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

The music was original at first and the last song was used with copyright permission.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Story of my life, Ols.
@seanbagley
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

Loved the concept, loved the camerawork, loved the video, it kept my attention the whole time! Excellent job!
"Prolly Just Film"
Darzeth

Post by Darzeth »

wow that was really good i enjoyed it especially the ending.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thanks dudes, I appreciate the comments.
@seanbagley
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Aweee well yes.

This is a nice enough film - Okay so its lurking in the murky depths of ardent sentimentality (in the classic SCA letter) form that is such a very special american cliche... The piano music helps with this regard - this is track 4 'hallmark channel' (i think u have this channel in the USA.)

I believe however this film could be quite good if the following was considered.

* Reducing it by approximately half
* Changing the piano music into something that sounds more earnest

Another problem was the messy cinematography
* Considerable number of over-exposed shots and blown out skies etc etc

These are weak points you see (people will mostly switch off because of the slow duration and pace. - and its not a good slow pace either...)

Now before you get antsy hehe (cos u can get sensitive to criticism gyro.) I would like to remark on the positives.

*All the parts are acted well and cast well - particularly the the old man and girl - (the rest are fine too including ur cameo hehe.)
*The idea of the 3 coming together and swapping their items is touching and original.
*The song choice at the end is great and if you have permission then good work.

So if the film is shortened considerably and less crappy piano music is used (its so gross and mainstream) for what is quite a nice offbeat execution that it sabotages ur films originality by drowning it in corporate sounding sentimentality (i mean ur piano start music)

Anyway good job and i hope u consider my suggestions
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Thanks a bunch for the criticism, I hope you don't think I get too antsy anymore... and I definitely agree with everything you've sad. Sad, I can only change post production stuff now.
@seanbagley
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I'll have to agree with Lawrie - the main criticism I have is with the music and cinematography. The piano made it seem like it was trying too hard to be artsy, while the shaky camera work made it seem too amateur. Hopefully the final version will include opening music that is much more poignant than a simple piano piece (as cinematography is something that cannot be helped at this point.)
Djokicko

Post by Djokicko »

That was pretty good i relly enjoyed it.The end was perfect and that song at the end is really cool(can you tell me who is the artist so i can find it).
Great job never the less ,keep up the good work :D
[url=http://www.mfbb.net/mongoloidbitche/mongoloidbitche.html][img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6712/mbgif2mq0.gif[/img][/url]
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

The artist is Sufjan Stevens, thanks for the comments everyone.
@seanbagley