Despair of Humanity -- New Film

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Despair of Humanity -- New Film

Post by Kentertainment »

Our school has this thing called TSA (Technology Student Association) and my tech teacher asked Gyro and I to make a short film for the competition to give another student some competition...this other student happens to be our friend who is CaptainAmerica on this forum.

Anywho, the film had to be done by today and we didn't know until Monday so from Tuesday to 1:30 a.m. this morning we scrambled to make a short film with 100% originality. Well we did and you can read up about the experience here.

The film is about two lovers who volunteer to do humanitarian work in a war torn country. While there, Alex, is kidnapped and now Marc is setting out to find her.

We were really rushed on this one, filming was done in one day from 5:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. and the ending seems a bit anti-climatic but it still came out pretty good (at least I think).

Anyway, watch and enjoy.

Website Version Best Quality
YouTube Version
Myspace Version
Last edited by Kentertainment on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Despair of Humanity -- New Film

Post by angusware »

The camera work was excellent. The only place it where it wan't great was towards the end, it was too dark and I couldn't understadnw aht happened to him.
Some of the sounds seemed too up-close and clear, like they weren't attatched to the video, and other parts had a hum noise in it.
Other than that it was excellent, some of the shots with the soldiers in them looked really legitmate.

Awesome for 72 hours work!
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Meh

Well what can you expect right K, it was made in 72 hours yeah? Well it looks like it! (but at least it looks like a competent attempt!)

I mean im not really convinced by the dialogue (its a tiny bit juvenile and preachie) and as is usual the actors are perhaps a little too young to be that convincing looking. Now your the director its up to you to cast right looking people (lol i got told that recently as im notorious at miscasting er anyway) lol

I agree the camera work is nice (its a style ur also very at home with.) Choice of music is nice and the disembodied voice i dont really have a prob with as it is a voice over really.

It starts to fall apart near the end i think - we're not really sure whether this is all poetrical reflection of loss or in fact a drama.

It's a nice attempt though but not entirely succesful but still pretty good for 72 hours!
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

I enjoyed it, camera work was good (seemed very Children of Men in war-parts). I liked how the shutter speed was amped up right after the dining room table conversation, it really gave ita "boom in your face" feel.Dialogue seemed a bit blah, sounded too faked, or something along those lines. Sounds didn't seem too real, not really much of a report with the rifles and everything: which seemed a bit surprising since you guys are in the middle of nowhere. Music was great; I've been going around the freesound site just finding so many great loops, this just renforces my love for that site.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Despair of Humanity -- New Film

Post by Kentertainment »

Lawriejaffa wrote:as is usual the actors are perhaps a little too young to be that convincing looking. Now your the director its up to you to cast right looking people
That was more of Gyro's duties (who also directed). I actually brought this up when coming up with an idea. My original idea was to do a contemporary high school film noir along the lines of a great film called Brick. I was overruled by the other two writers on the story.
Lawriejaffa wrote:It starts to fall apart near the end i think
I agree with you.
maj_barnes wrote:I enjoyed it, camera work was good (seemed very Children of Men in war-parts). I liked how the shutter speed was amped up right after the dining room table
That was spot on! Gyro is doing all my cinematography now because he knows quite a bit about it and is looking at going into that profession...unlike me. Earlier I stated that the two writers (Gyro one of them) overruled my story idea and both are huge fans of Children of Men and BMW's The Hire series and I'm thinking this is what they based it off of. I only wrote the beginning of the action sequence after the dinner table.
Ornsack

RE: Re: RE: Despair of Humanity -- New Film

Post by Ornsack »

It was all very Children of Men to be honest but it was good! Your movies are looking really glossy these days too. Good acting, I thought.. Yeah, good little film!

Great locations btw
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: Despair of Humanity -- New Film

Post by Kentertainment »

I need to see this movie you call Children of Men still. Thanks for the lovely comments thus far...

I uploaded the full quality 150mb MPEG-2 version onto my website, you can find the link on my first post.
parts had a hum noise in it.
The humming is part of the music by the way.
Ornsack

Re: RE: Re: RE: Despair of Humanity -- New Film

Post by Ornsack »

Kentertainment wrote:I need to see this movie you call Children of Men still
Thinking about it, there are parts of your film that are near identical in terms of plot and location :?
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Despair of Humanity -- New Film

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I liked the movie. Its pretty good. The music was really good and the title is creative. The camera work is good. It is really good for 74 hours of work. I think you guys would have done better if you had more time. =] The choice of music is nice.

What kind of upload place do you use for the film that is on your site? The quality is really good.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

It's called Vimeo, they allow you to upload only 250mb worth of footage a week and the final render for this was only 150mb. It can be any length in time as well.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Ok.. Kool. Looks way more better then on youtube or google video.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

you've impressed me once again, its very similar to your teams previous work but nevertheless still enjoyable

i liked the dialogue, seemed well written to me

unlike others i was quite impressed with the sound effects, made me feel like i was really there, in film-making terms it is known as escapism, well played

Children of Men RULES
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

Great job guys. Really great.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

well ctbullet ;) its actually called 'realism'
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

no its escapism

where you are so engulfed in a movie you believe you are actually there
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

er no lol...

escapism - habitual diversion of the mind to purely imaginative activity or entertainment as an escape from reality or routine

realism - the theory or practice of fidelity in art and literature to nature or to real life and to accurate representation without idealization

Realism and or social realism and other artistic forms are what films (in particular like 'Children of Men') or loads of others with not just 'documentary' styles of cinematopraphy but also sound design are often called. Now Children of Men is basically science fiction - but is still realistic in the manner of its cinematography and sound design - as its intentionally trying to 'project' a clear sense of 'reality' with some sense of importance.

Escapsim has NOTHING to do with describing reality or fantasy in film as a form of technique, direction or production. It's used to refer to works that entertain with the intention of shaking up boring old normal reality - so its the OPPOSITE.

Your 'engulfed by the movie' is not escapism, (i doubt it has any singular word to describe it) but its basically a suspension of disbelief and immersion brought on by 'realistic' depiction.

Now there you go that was a free lesson in film theory!
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

wow, thanks for the lesson, i still don't believe you, lol, sorry

i understand wher you're coming from- we'll agree to disagree
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol jesus man its not a debate its FACT - just look it up! I didn't invent that idea u know its what film theorists (and my lecturers) and any lecturers on film espouse in their classes. Honestly i will take the chance of sounding patronising by saying that you are OBVIOUSLY wrong! escapism is not the word used to describe realism ;)
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

nowhere did i say escapism = realism

i said the short felt like an escapism film with a hint of realism, yes i know they are different, argh lol
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol annnnyway lets just agree that Gyro looks pretty in all his films
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

ctbullet wrote:no its escapism

where you are so engulfed in a movie you believe you are actually there
Careful with that word. Armageddon (along with a lot of Bruckheimer films) was also considered escapism, and it's hardly a work of art!

And yes, Gyro definitely has a great screen presence 8)
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Gyro wasn't even in this.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

yeah but he's still a star!!!
Gyro