Squib

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

JackBauerII

Squib

Post by JackBauerII »

I'm in a rush and need a recipe for non-explosive squibs, preferably made from materials around the house. I've tried the fake-blood-in-egg method (didn't work) and don't want to go and buy a pesticide sprayer at the moment. Any easy methods you gys know of?
If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Squib

Post by angusware »

shoot the bastard.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Mhmm.. Heres a link....
http://exposure.co.uk/eejit/blood/index.html

Hope this helps =]
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

Thanks for your sarcasm. As for exposure.co.uk, of course I've seen that. As I said, I dont have time or money for the sprayer.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Uhmm... try filling a condom (or small plastic bag, or finger of a latex glove) with fake blood, and have some way of popping it under the guy's shirt... lol... i dont really have any ideas.

Sorry,
SE7
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

well you've sort of avoided any way of anyone helping you, you wont use explosives and wont have something that uses air-pressure.
not really a great and effective solution unless you want the guy to use a syringe or something. Pesticide sprayers are only like $40 bucks anyway.
JackBauerII

Post by JackBauerII »

Well there you've given me a method. Thank you.

- Stanley Kubrick

www.monkeypie.net
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

Fill a little baggie of some kind up and shoot it with an airsoft gun. Tada, now you even have the effect of impact, only drawback is the actor has to get shot.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

If your guy is getting shot in front of a wall, get a sponge and soak up fake blood. Then tape it to his back (make sure he wears a dark shirt), when he gets shot have him fly backwards into the wall which will cause the blood to fly all over the wall for a nice exit wound effect. Plus since it's a dark shirt, no worries about seeing entrance wounds, etc. And if you want add some digi blood, or some smoke stock for a better a shot effect.
SammyJim

Post by SammyJim »

Well, yeah, referring to prodigyfilms inc's idea, you don't necesarily have to shoot the actor. You could do a close up of the piece of body that you are shooting, but instead make a fake body part (arm, torso, which ever will be shot). Then, clothe it, put the blood pouch in, and shoot it. Then, you could switch back to a reaction shot of the victim. "ohh! I've been shot!"
That's my idea anyway, and as others have said, you haven't left us much choice with ideas!!

JP
Bodysnatcher
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Bodysnatcher »

Well, yeah, referring to prodigyfilms inc's idea, you don't necesarily have to shoot the actor. You could do a close up of the piece of body that you are shooting, but instead make a fake body part (arm, torso, which ever will be shot). Then, clothe it, put the blood pouch in, and shoot it. Then, you could switch back to a reaction shot of the victim. "ohh! I've been shot!"
I like this idea! load sof other possibilities, vampire bites, dismemeberment, GSW's, Drunk injections, slashed wrists, surgical procedures the mind boggles, thanks!!!
http://www.freewebs.com/bodysnatcher-productions
Grant

Post by Grant »

The idea in principle is old and was used to great effect in early film making. At times they would shoot dummys and mocked up parts. In the good old days on some movies real bullets were used at times. James Cagney was nearly shot in the head one day by a police sharpshooter (can't remember the film name). The sharpshooter was meant to shoot a hole in the window Cagney was looking out of but hit a fire extinguisher near his head! Funnily enough in Peter Jackson's "Meet the Feebles" the hippo at the end is firing live M-60 rounds throughout the set because they could not get hold of blanks!
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

Can you do something simple like use a large spoon and blackberry jelly, make the splat where ya need it.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Exactly thanks Liza. People often over-complicate issues. Go straight to basics and see if they work for you.
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
challengerbravo525

Post by challengerbravo525 »

Ice bombs...incorporate it in with fake blood..........though..don't know HOW much iyt would hurt
Today's Bread TODAY
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

that would kill you bravo :shock:
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
challengerbravo525

Post by challengerbravo525 »

nah...it would just be very messy...my friend viktor did a similar act..it did good for effects on a wall.....besdies...5 mins is up..he has probally found a way
Today's Bread TODAY
smokeythebear
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by smokeythebear »

keyword on a wall not flesh and bone
www.myspace.com/kendallfx
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

I find the egg filled with blood to be the best method. Don't launch it so hard and it might look better..It's a cheap method but like mentioned already, get the camera angles in order and it will look a million bucks
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

What you can do is one of two simple things I have used. Have the person have a small bag under their shirt with some holes in it and when they get shot they cluch the wound and push your blood out, and you cover this with the way you shot it.
Or if you inside and this works really well, put them next to a wall then safty pin a spunge to their back and soke it in your blood and when they get shot have them smash into the wall and slide down it leaves a great trail.
In the end I am a fan of the compressed air blood cannon and not the squibs or sprayers. why have the blood come from the vic when it can be thrown at them?