the eye flash

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Freddie

the eye flash

Post by Freddie »

have any of you seen The Covenant?
The overnatural people there do this eyeflash right before they do something overnatural.. like.. Eye turn black then back to normal. It's really cool, and looks like an easy effect to handle. but the technique, I'm not sure of.
If it's just messing around in AE with the footage.. Apperantly for me it's not. I really can't that much about After Effects so I can just experiment with such things.
I'm making a movie, not much overnatural stuff, but that eyeflash is really cool. (devilish thing, the eyeflash there)

if you still don't know what I mean, say so.

Thanks alot guys
Sincerely,
Fredrik
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)
AgentDick

RE: the eye flash

Post by AgentDick »

Contacts. Special Effects contacts. They cost about 300 dollars a pair.

You can do it pretty easily just by rotoscoping the eyes all black and then adding highlights to them so they still look shiny.
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

If u wanna just use after effects. U mask the eye, then use levels to make it dark, but enough that there is still highlights. If its too colorful, desaturate it a bit.
Hide or fight for your life?
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

tried that Rhys. really doesn't turn out well.. can you try? see if you are capable of creating it good..
~frez
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I would export the sequence into a filmstrip or image sequence. Then watch the effect from the show or DVD or whatever frame by frame and see how they did it, then draw it in frame by frame into your footage.