making a room seem as if its dark?

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Darzeth

making a room seem as if its dark?

Post by Darzeth »

Ive asked this before but im curious on how to make a room dark. I can contrast it and change the levels in adobe after effects. But it makes it to dark and i cant see the characters. The main problem is the walls are way to bright and when i make the scene darker they make it seem like its still very bright and thats when i start to lose the characters to the darkness. So how do i make the room seem dark with out losing my characters in adobe after effects.
pwnisher

RE: making a room seem as if its dark?

Post by pwnisher »

yes, try masking out the walls and whatever is bright and darken those. Then do your color correction on the person to fit the surrounding areas.

Hope I helped
CBE films - Dedicated in filmmaking
www.freewebs.com/cbe-films
Darzeth

Post by Darzeth »

How exactly do i mask, When i go to mask and it goes to a part where the character goes through it they also turn dark. how do i fix this so only the part i want masked is masked and everything behind the characters is darkened?
pwnisher

Post by pwnisher »

ok first you select the clip ok, just go ahead and click on it. Then press Ctrl+D to duplicate the footage. Then select the top layer and get the pen tool and make a mask around the dude. Once you do that you might want to feather it by pressing F on the clip you just masked and boosting it up a tad. Then you take the lower or upper clip, which ever one is the walls, and take the the lighting. I hope I helped, if not keep on asking ok. =]
Darzeth

Post by Darzeth »

wow thats a cool trick but how do i change the shape of the area the pen has cut out. Since the persons moves i need the cut out to change and follow. Also are there other tips and tricks i can use that uses or doesnt use this ability.
pwnisher

Post by pwnisher »

Ok what you have to do when masking actuall videos is select the video that you just masked and press M. Then set a keygrame for mask shape by hitting the stop watch. Then with that same clip selsected press Shift+P and set a keyframe for position, then press Shift+R and do the same for rotation. Then you go in the video frame by frame adjusting the mask. Use the main selector tool you know. And other tips, I would just say dont rush cause itll look bad if you do. Oh and feathering a little always helps =]
Darzeth

Post by Darzeth »

wow thx for the help this is going to be really handy now all i got to do is get use to it but that takes time thx again. Im only have the real problemw ith moving the mask and using the rotation
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Why don't you actually make the room dark? Light the room from windows and doorways.
challengerbravo525

Post by challengerbravo525 »

use sodium lights! it wont give the effect of day but the effect of street lights..or a miami sunset
Today's Bread TODAY