[Directing] Hints and tips for directing and producing films

Tutorials and guides or links covering software discussed in these forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

404 Error
system message
Error: page not found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, there is no ezboard page matching your request
The page you are looking for either no longer exists, has moved or is temporarily unavailable. Please update your bookmarks.

See our Site Map for a list of all documents.
If you need Help, see the Help Center or Index of Help Files.
If you are looking for a community or forum, use Forum Find.
If you feel this is an error, please report it at Bug Base.
ezboard Home

Go back

Hmmm, great page! :D
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Personally i think the best films have broken a rule or two along the lines, thats what makes the good. No one wants a gerneric film, 'cos they suck. But then, i see people trying really hard to break the rules and what they produce is no better looking than what i produce before 9 in the morning.
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

Famous wrote:I think it's better to be close then far with a zoom.
Slow zooms are cool though
The words 'Depth of field' spring to mind there. You need to zoom in on your subject to get it. :roll:
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
Nomaden

Post by Nomaden »

good job, and even better you said now that these rules "are meant to be broken"... otherwise some people might get confused :P
Once upon a time, there were three little pigs and a big bad wolf...maybe you've heard it ;P
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Well, it depends... you can't always do the same directing tequinques for the same scene over and over..
Sigs suck a**.
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

There are two kinds of filmmakers: those who break the rules an those who don't know the rules. When some guy asked Picasso to teach him painting cubistic, Picasso ordered him to paint realistic horse first.

Zoom is very helpfull if it's used wisely. Annoying zoom-in/zoom-out (in Poland we call it "pumping" or "f***") is what I hate most in amateur films.
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah, zoom can either kill you or help you. Dolly movement is somtimes a better way to add some movement to the shot that will bring it more alive.
Sigs suck a**.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

I can't get the link??
BagBoysProductions

Post by BagBoysProductions »

I agree. Zoom should only be used sometimes. And only if you know how to make it look good. Because if not it will make you film look un-professional unless your aiming for that.
Josh Beaver
- Writer
- Director
- SFX
- Editor
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

I get a 404 error as well. Do you have the list somewhere else, Jass? I'd like to see them if it's possible.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
chchaisson1

Post by chchaisson1 »

Me too. :x
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

When it comes to zoom, it's like anything that is out of the ordinary, it is risky. Sometimes, actually most of the time it is corny and cheesy. Never zooom in on a line. You want a dramatic effect, better to dolly in or to steady cam in. But don't over use. To many "ameature" films give themselves away by over zooming in a film. Best way to do a film is to change up the shots. I took a risk in my film and did one zoom. Tried to do it really fast, but the shot was done around 0 degree wheather so the camera person had a problem cranking it in fast, but I was able to pull it off. But I am taking a big risk, it could appear corny. The really question when directing is: why am I shooting a shot a certain way, what effect am I try to acheive, how does to build the plot, move along the story. I think zooms make things cheesy because it is either overused, or unnecessary for the certain shot. Or the last possibility is that you should have done a different shot for better emotional effect. Take for instance the short, "The Forest". I think they could have done the interior zoom in shots as steady cam/hand held shots that were pull in shots similiar to moving in with the dolly but shakier. This would have had a more suspense effect to it. Kept it more interesting. But all of these ideas on zoom are subject to "what works for you".