new idea for machine gun smoke

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

jackbauer24

new idea for machine gun smoke

Post by jackbauer24 »

last week i was waiting at a red light and i looked at the exhaust pipe of the car in front of me and saw all the smoke coming out. It made me think that if someone took a video of smoke coming from an exhaust pipe and put it in front of a green background it could be used for gun smoke. does anyone think this could work/and want to try it. i have finals coming up so i wouldnt be able to do it for a while
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

many people do that, yes it will work.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

There'd be easier and safer alternatives to exhaust fumes, but yes something to that effect would work (and has been done before).
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

when i first read that the image popped in my head of you carrying a motor and the exhaust over your shoulder... heh

but then i read, its s good dea, just don't get caught up in the fumes... im not a fan of stock footage, i don't like using detfilms unless its a killer problem, i use cg muzzle flashs and smoke...
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

When I say good idea I mean light a match and use the smoke or light a candle, not exhaust fumes.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Actually this has inspired me. I think I might try some tests using my fog machine. Would anybody be interested in the footage? If so, what would you need from it (I have never personaly done work with smoke stock footage, nor do I expect to, I just need something to do with my time).
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

A fog machine would work the best. I've used mine to fill bullet casings so they smoke when they hit the ground before. It should work well for a smoking gun.

Here's the catch, however. A gun normally doesn't smoke after a single round. It usually appears after several bursts, and will come on thick during automatic fire. So play around with seeing how realistic you can make it appear when firing.