WW1

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

So what's new...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

lol
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

trust me boys, ive heard enuf threads for ww2 game mods, to know its better not to get too finicky arguing about history! lol

damn too late! WW2 was infantry based? Well every vehicle and every army needs human beings, i.e. people - i.e. 'infantry' of sorts to function.

We are talking mental perceptions here, we are talking about 'film perceptions' and the cultural code (hey man whats the cultural code) its important - check my tuts, but basically its how we percieve things in film.

So, as far as movies are concerned, ww2 was almost always fought with MEN - PLANES - TANKS, and WW1 was fought with MEN - TRENCHES, unless you have war films preoccupied with a specific branch of service.

For the ww2 fans, you will seldom find a ww2 movie that does not include what people 'expect' from a ww2 movie, and that is often tanks, aircraft, and other 'big' visual things. You might want to think there can be an exception if your pals work together in some gear, but unless the entire reason for your story is so well narrated that it is legitimised, then the 'cultural code' will make people watching it think - bah this aint real? this aint good, or that wouldnt happen? or where are the tanks? You get it right?

Well with WW1, much of the war was not trench fighting, but from films you would and many here still think that IT WAS ALL trench fighting, why cos of popular consciousness on how its been portrayed, in stories and films etc. (also cos the trench fighting was so grand, and horrific that folk tended to remember it most.)

So again, back to the point, a story can be made with some ww2 guys and no other stuff, or with ww1 guys not fighing in trenches, IT IS POSSIBLE and would be historically accurate in a certain context within a narrative BUT - and i say BUT it will go against pre-percived convention, and every film director and writer has to bear in mind, how the cultural code of any intended target audience, will reacte to their story.

The least important person to convince is yourself !
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

maj_barnes wrote:Then the History Channel is wrong.
?!?!!?!?!!?!?!

Next to Smithsonian, the History Channel institute is considered one of the most valuable and reliable sources there is. Don't be bashing, I'm a member.
@seanbagley
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Read the posts before it, I'm not bashing it.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I'm a member too! LOL There is lot of quality programming, but they do say a lot of wishy-washy nonsense from time to time, myself being one whom watches it frequently.
Lawriejaffa wrote:The least important person to convince is yourself !
Then where is the initiative coming from? :?
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Oh they have great stuff!