Falling Playing Card Effect

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

dennismv

Falling Playing Card Effect

Post by dennismv »

I want to create an effect where I stand with my hands outstretched palms up, on each hand there is a deck of cards. Then suddenly cards start flying or springing up as if by some force.

Then I want the cards to fly all above me, creating a powerful, even somewhat menacing display. By flying I mean not hovering, but falling down after they were sprung up. It should look like it's raining cards. The cards should also fill all the space around me, while not covering my face too much.

I'm thinking that for the card rain I'll need several decks of cards and a few people to throw/launch the cards above me, so that they fall evenly. But I don't know how to do the original launch of cards so they they fly up as if by themselves. Can this be done ?
XhuntedoverlordX

RE: Falling Playing Card Effect

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

What you could do is run an air compressor hose through your costume so that it comes out of your sleeve. Then place the nozzle under the deck of cards. When its time for the cards to fly have someone hit the switch and it'll launch the cards out of your hands using compressed air.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

I would space the cards slightly w/ strips of paper, so that the whole deck doesn't just fall off your hands
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
XhuntedoverlordX

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

Thats a good idea, if you were trying to shoot them all at once you may as well just throw them.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

you could tape invisible string to the bottom card of the deck and tape another piece on a card in the middle of the deck. so off screen someone could pull the two string releasing them in the air.....
dennismv

Post by dennismv »

thanks. I'm also thinking of other options. I want to make it look spectacular. Maybe I'll use a strobe light or a black light to enchance the effect. Also I find that music can make or break your act. So I'll be looking for appropriate music too. We'll see what happens.