Creating Shimmering effect

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Freddie

Creating Shimmering effect

Post by Freddie »

Hello! Im sure most of you guys have watched Charmed. And that you know that its alot of good effects there.

If you have watched some episodes in about the middle of the series, there was this guy, named Cole. (his demon form was Belthazor)
He could teleport, and when he teleported he used shimmering. This is an teleporting effect.

If any of you got any ideas on how to make this, if its just an easy thing to do, please reply here.

-Frez

PS: shimmer = when its hot outside, and right over the ground, the air is moving like its dizzy :)

EDIT: http://www.dauntless-grace.org/videos/Magic.zip <-- Shimmering effect inside
Last edited by Freddie on Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XhuntedoverlordX

RE: Creating Shimmering effect

Post by XhuntedoverlordX »

What I'd do is make a shot of the actor standing in the scene. Then I'd take a shot of the same scene without the actor, but with a couple of heat lamps off camera, creating some air distortion. Then you lay them over each other and the actor appears to dissappear into heat distortion if you time it right.
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

do you have after effects?
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I sure do =)
do you know how? *angel face*
Ill add ya on messenger =)
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I have found a video with the shimmering effect:
http://www.dauntless-grace.org/videos/Magic.zip
Its not my video, I havent made it. But please watch it, and you'll see the effect, nice and cool! =D

-Frez
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)
Carnage7p
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Carnage7p »

yeah i can help you with that. As long as you do not need by saturday i can make a tutorial for you. The effect will be really easy if there is only one person in the shot. If there is more than one person, it will just take longer. I'll have it finished by tomorrow.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

wow, thanks man! I have good time, yes! :D
You're never on AIM / MSN hehe.. you WAS on AIM, but didnt answered me.. anyways! I really appriciate this! :D

Did you see the effect on the link?

-Frez