western in the uk??????

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

sj-nobudgetfilms

western in the uk??????

Post by sj-nobudgetfilms »

I have recently finshed a script for a western "nothing but trouble" however i think i have come across a barrier in production due to the fact that i live in the no western like uk. Does anyone have any ideas to help me overcome this?
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

I have never been to the UK so i dont really know what the landscape it....maybe you could find a really wide beach....idk, its was just a thought.
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

i considered doing a western, but decided against due to thew fact ther is no desert and i dont know how to greenscreen.

best bet would be to get a warehouse, fill it with sand and build buildings around the edges to look like a western town. you couls even paint the background. or greenscreen
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
justin!butcher

Post by justin!butcher »

That is assuming he has that kind of $$$$
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

true
sj-nobudgetfilms

Post by sj-nobudgetfilms »

i have considered using a beach which is the conclusion i may come to
i cant afford the warehouse idea.
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lukeprausnitz »

oh well. i wish i could also afford the ware house idea, but alas, it cannot be so
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

With some imaginative angles, you could use a beach on a sunny day.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

Hrmm... not sure about the UK but I know a few westerns including "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" with Clint Eastwood were filmed in Spain. If you could make it down there, you'd be in super western town, aside from the actual west... where I live!
@seanbagley
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

Find some abandoned quarry. There was few westerns made in Poland (comedies or indies mostly) . In the last one they built only one side of the street in the town. After shooting part of takes it was redecorated a bit (signs and extras were replaced, some wheelcarts added etc) and shoot in oposite direction.

Don't you have any "Western Town" in UK. We have one in Poland (look bit cheesy but it's better then nothing)

This town in Spain is called Almeria. Now it's a tourist atraction.
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

I started to film a western and it was looking rather good, we gave up on it because of ideas, not the scenery. We filmed it mostely in the countryside, as that works just as well, it would have to be more of a 'outlaw josey wales' movie rather than a 'few dollars more' type of movie in terms of scenery. If you can get a farm with lots of wide open woodlands and old looking barns, with some horses and as long as you dont show any roads or modern buildings you will do just fine, we will probably go back to ours sometime. Another great touch is i know the owner of a great pub that looks the dogs bollocks when it comes to westerns, so that would be handy, get your extras dressed up, or even propose a western themed day in the pub and film around them, there are allways ways of making it work, just the know how, if you need anymore ideas, give us a shoot (haha) Allways happy to help
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

The western includes more terrain than desert - examples...
High Plains (E colorado, W OK/KS ) easily dulicated in fields with long grass type vegetation and few trees. Slightly rolling countryside.)
Eastern KS /NE OK/ nebraska - some trees, low rolling hills, the occasional ravine.
As far as towns, no need to really even have any shots in a 'western town' perhaps an abandoned plank construction house in a field for a 'ranch house' or a farmer's house. Look at some pics from other areas than teh classic 'desert look' of the western states and you can probably match up an area in teh UK which will be close....
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Faldor

Post by Faldor »

theres a western town around somewhere, they filmed Red Dwarfs "gunmen of the apoclypse" there
"I know you're gonna be right, and you haven't even said anything yet! Oh there you go...I was too slow with this reply, but I still agree with you" - Ornsack
skywilson

Post by skywilson »

Yes i rember that hey a westren how very coolies :D
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

Red Dwarf was great. Yeah Dartmoore is a pretty good place to film, OR and if ( a big if) you have the money, you can go to chessington's world of adventures and enquire about hiring it for a day or so while its closed. That way you can make use of their full western town they have, Which is infact very beleivable in some parts. I have allways gone there and thought, 'what a great film set this place would make'. allways worth a try.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Well there's plenty of ghost towns in North and South Dakota, maybe in the Rockies, I'm not sure. They're all old mining towns that eventually were abandoned after the mines dried up (or closed due to other circumstances) Doing a movie in one of those would be pretty cool.