Minimum Overdrive

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shakma

Minimum Overdrive

Post by shakma »

Hey everybody...

Some of you might be interested in seing this short I just directed called MINIMUM OVERDRIVE...

It's an action comedy that's about 13 min long... I shot it on Mini-DV and edited it on Premiere 6.0... The link is here:

http://www.minimumoverdrivefilm.tk/

I'd love to know what you guys think of it, so don't hesitate to be harsh... Thanks !
Bugalicious

RE: Minimum Overdrive

Post by Bugalicious »

150mb for 13 minutes??? Is there a more compressed alternative, such as wmv?
yeah, im a loser..
www.bugs-page.tk
shakma

Post by shakma »

Sorry man, that's all I've got for now.

The movie should be hosted on a new website in a smaller file sometime in the next few weeks, but this is all I have for the moment, sorry !
Bugalicious

Post by Bugalicious »

oh ok. the image in the site looks wicked. so i guess i could wait for a bit
yeah, im a loser..
www.bugs-page.tk
dno

Post by dno »

Two words - Absolutely fantastic. This is by far one of the best amateur shorts I have ever seen anywhere, bar none.

The whole thing from start to finish was a joy to watch. You've got yourself a talented team.

The music was spot on, the story highly enjoyable with a great blend of humour and some brilliant subtle touches. The special FX were good as was the sound FX. The camera shots were excellent.

But the element that makes this little gem stand out is the editing. The editing in this makes it worth watching alone.

I for one loved it. This film stands out and raises the bar. Many people on here should watch this and take a lot of notes.

Great job guys. I admire what you have done.
Maxo

Post by Maxo »

wow!........ WOW!! I do not know what to say, it's just beautiful! Usually I wouldn't wait 30min to download it (I have nothing against the file size, only the connection speed) but dno's post made me curious. And every word he said is absolutly true! This is great, are you sure you're not professionals? :) It's worth the waiting, start downloading folks!

Btw I love that tie and the way you used it :lol:
sourceoferror

Post by sourceoferror »

link doesn't work :(
shakma

Post by shakma »

1) Hey. First of all if the link doesn't work, just try:
http://www.minimumoverdrive.avenueduweb.net/

2) Thanks for the compliments guys, glad you liked it... I personnaly think the pacing isn't right but, hey, you have to let go of your film at one point or another...

3) Yep, I'm sure we're not professionals lol... In fact I did a little making-of video... It's in French so you might not get exactly what we're saying in it but there's some images of us actually shooting the movie so you get to see on what scale we did it. It's here:
http://minimumoverdrive.avenueduweb.net/makingof.html

Anyway thanks for watching guys, I'm delighted with your reaction ;o)
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Freaking incredible, you did an awsome job on this. Enter it in any and every contest you can find, you'll win. That was some pretty snazzy RC driving too. What kind of camera(s) did you use, and what kind of camera rigs do you have, there was some pretty slick moving shots in there. Well worth the 45 minute (Bad internet connection) download, and the quality was awsome too.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Maxo

Post by Maxo »

:lol: that "behind the scenes" tells you more than you wanna know about the rigs. I wouldn't dare to mount my camera like that, incredible shots though. And shakma you were right, I didn't understand a word :wink:
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Good lord!! How many camera's have you lost! Duct tape and bungy-cords, you're insane!! But the angles you got were beautiful, so if you can accept the risks... I sure wish I had paid more attention during French class though, but it was still well worth watching the "making of" part.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
shakma

Post by shakma »

We didn't end up losing any cameras but we did have a close call at one point... I don't know if you still have the movie on your computer but if you do, go to 09:56 and you'll see the RC car just race right into the camera...

The car was supposed to drive right past the camera but it kinda swerved and ended up hitting the camera at full speed... So that sudden camera move after the impact isn't there on purpose, it's really what happened...

I was driving the Volkswagen and I heard this "boom" right after driving above the camera and I just freaked out... But the camera was fine, so don't worry ! ;o)
cwf

Post by cwf »

I got a few questions m8 but first of all Great Film, especially the editing.

Now, can you explain how you did the ring like effects for the titling and also what and where did you get the music from?

Thanks,

CWF
shakma

Post by shakma »

Thanks CWF...

I did that effect by just slicing my titles in a bunch of little bits and just putting different Adobe Premiere FX on them, just randomly... As simple as that !
KayBeck

Post by KayBeck »

That was an excellent, entertaining film. Great work.
Burnt Synapse Entertainment: We're going to blow your mind.
cwf

Post by cwf »

what music did you use mate?
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Damn incredible! Best film I have ever seen on this site, EVER! Cinematography was great, effects were great, and I loved the quick cutting and in your face sound. 6 out of 5 :D

And it's well worth 150MB for anyone who thinks twice about DLing.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
shakma

Post by shakma »

Oops, I forgot about the music !

I basically used just an original score done by some friends of mine... Sure I would have prefered to have a good old SPEED or THE ROCK soundtrack on my images but then it becomes too much of a hassle to show the movie in festivals, so I asked some friends to do it...
Maxo

Post by Maxo »

the music is really great, I wouldn't change it for 10 Speed/The Rock just because it's your own and it does sound very professional if you ask me.
sourceoferror

Post by sourceoferror »

that was awesome, very professional. how much did it cost to make? i wish i knew french so i could understand the making of it.
shakma

Post by shakma »

The movie didn't cost anything except for the Mini-DV tapes and what it took to buy the two RC cars (about 70€/$ each...)... That's it !
santi
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by santi »

Great job. Did you get inspiration from "Dead pool" chase sequence?

Camera works and editing are OK. But you could make it shorter - it's about 1/3 too long. Those silent parts don't fit a little.During the first shot from POV of car (45 second of film) there's a "scary sound" - I would put it bit later when hero is appearing.

Great piece of filmwork anyway.
Santi

"Corpse of your enemy always smells nice"

---------------------
http://sfx.com.pl/
KeiserSniTT

Post by KeiserSniTT »

loved the film! Great editing!
But I have some problems with overexposure in most of the scenes outside (something that looks just horrible on video!)... maybe you should get an ND filter for such sunny, harsch filmwweather, as it was on this film.?
shakma

Post by shakma »

Well actually the original footage was just normal and I voluntarily gave it that burned up overexposed look... Kinda tried to push the contrast a little bit, just to give it a distinctive look.
KeiserSniTT

Post by KeiserSniTT »

okey... well that didn't work for me... i HATE overexposure in videos! But if that's what you wanted... okey for me;)