Fullscreen Questions

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

BenjaminLevin

Fullscreen Questions

Post by BenjaminLevin »

Just a few questions:

1. What would a movie shot in fullscreen like on a widescreen TV?

2. Does shooting a movie in fullscreen hinder the ability for that movie to be sold?

3. Why can't fullscreen movies that are shown in theaters be shown in their original form (I.E. "The Evil Dead" and "Robocop")?
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

RE: Fullscreen Questions

Post by Matt »

Question 1 : Depends on the TV. Hollow Point is full screen. If I watch it on my widescreen I can either keep the correct aspect ratio or get the TV to stretch it across the full width.

Question 2 : Perhaps. Depends who you are selling it to I suppose.

Question 3 : I think it is because people expect cinema films to be widescreen. Most people wouldn't realise that a film may have actually been shot in 4:3.

We only film in full screen because that is what our cameras do. I can't see the point in creating fake widescreen by throwing away half the pixels and adding black bars.
Ornsack

RE: Fullscreen Questions

Post by Ornsack »

Going back to question 3... both films were shot in widescreen (I know for a fact that Evil Dead was shot on Super 16) but you're probably watching the 4:3 version (aka where the image is zoomed in to prevent black bars).

I think it's good to get used to 16:9. It's a more natural format and I dunno how it is in the US, but in the UK every TV show and DVD is 16:9. Way of t'future
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]