WWII Outfits and Gear

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Oh good... we're back! :D

Is it really that cheap now? Last I asked, he was going to charge me for money transfer. Might be a great deal at $6/3 helmets. I'll check when I get home. At school right now! :) It was the Greek pants, gotcha.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Well, if I ever get back into WWII, and make a movie, I'll make it about British or Canadian soldiers, because it's much easier to get that kind of gear here (obviously). There also tends to be a large amount of Vietnam era gear laying about, Canada was a large supplier to the US during the war. I might make it about one of the Canadian war nuts that went to Vietnam just to be in on the action.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Gyro wrote:
foxwood wrote:
Gyro wrote:You should all convert to Mormonism because I just watched Saints and Soldiers in Seminary today.
I think I'll pass it will eventualy hit theaters around here or a blockbuster, for when ever I deside to care.
Your name is Hitler! Just kidding... I just thought I'd rub it in since everyone's been wanting see it.
HAHAHAHA!!!! I am one of them!!!!

Anyway... :roll: i just finished another WWII Muzzleflash/bullethit test. i will post it soon. our nextdoor neighbour whos a newb when it comes to filming - filmed it. :roll:
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

UFProductions wrote:Well, if I ever get back into WWII, and make a movie, I'll make it about British or Canadian soldiers, because it's much easier to get that kind of gear here (obviously). There also tends to be a large amount of Vietnam era gear laying about, Canada was a large supplier to the US during the war. I might make it about one of the Canadian war nuts that went to Vietnam just to be in on the action.
Sorry about the double post... :oops:

It's the same here for Australian Gear! although I would make an Australian WWII film if the information was more readily available than our 90 year old neighbour... :roll:
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Well, looks like you got the general shape of the thing just about perfect. Nice job with the paint too, but I think you could have rounded off some of the parts a little more. Also, try adding some detail to the reciever and magazine using a Dremel tool or someting like that.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Well, they did use 100 round cartridges nearer the beginning of the war. I do believe what happened was a different company started manufacturing Thompsons and only the standard clips would fit. Just a little prop accuracy. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Why did you spend 9 hours on a prop you do not intend to you?
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

i found out about the place that makes training models for the army AFTER I made the Thompson. I was looking for accuracy. Good looking weapons, not ones that I made out of bits in the shed! :D
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

nazi sentry, that thomson looks like the one associated with the mafia. then again, they might have used it in ww2
Yeah, they used them. Drum mag, forward grip and all.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

In the early stages of the war, not near the end which is where my film takes place.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Ever see "Windtalkers", that had a drum mag/vertical grip Thompson in it. It was mainly the soldiers preference, that style was just more rare.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

No... there was a technical reasoning for not using the standard clips. Preferance wasn't an issue unless you could get ahold of a correct model. There was also a problem of jamming the weapon or something like that. It's been a while since I read up on those points in history. :?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Yeah, the Germens tended to not rush positions ike the Japanese did, therefore the more traditional box magazine, it was far more reliable. The drum magazine was good when you might have multiple enemies storming a position, the trade off was that it jammed more often.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You don't just throw something together in 9 hours. I made that German machine gun in my last flick in fifteen minutes. Now THAT is throwing something together! You actually put effort into yours! I'd use it at least. ;)
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Ever see "Windtalkers", that had a drum mag/vertical grip Thompson in it. It was mainly the soldiers preference, that style was just more rare.
True, but normally you shouldn't use Windtalkers when talking about accuracy ;).
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

I vote Epsilon and Deadlogic moderators of this thread to prevent spam. a couple pages back you have to skim to find the good stuff.
(thought id say that)

anyway back on topic

My k98 was just cut out today. gonna start sanding. last thing i need is an idea for the bolt action part. (thinkin about pvc?)
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

True, but normally you shouldn't use Windtalkers when talking about accuracy .
A very good point. :D

I'm not sure if they've got the option to make a person a Mod for just one thread, however I think that exists for single categories. On the index under every categorry it says: "Moderators: Administrator, Mod team" So I dont know.

Got any pictures of the K98 yet ALove? You might want to consider getting a spokeshave (or borrowing one) for the gun shaping. Using sandpaper alone will take an astounding amount of time.

Edit: as a quiet sidenote I am now officially an Addict, Forum Addict that is, 500 posts.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

For the Thompson, we had one pic about the size of one of those ad banners. :( I am going to have my weapons made for me by professinals that make steel and timber ones with moving bolts etc...for about $500 - $800 each... :cry:

Edit: as a sidenote a very close friend of mine, like an uncle really, died 2 days ago and ot cremated today... :cry:
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Hmm, $10 in wood carvings vs. $800 in authenticity. That's a drastic contrast in price. You might as well just go buy a real one for that much!

Epsilon, mod of the WW2 thread... very interesting.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

not likely here... Need a class H (?) licence. Only for the military. And even THEY cant keep it at home! :(
Col.Sahb

Post by Col.Sahb »

Who else is working on props?
An update on my Thompson M1A1:

Being painted tommorrow, looking forward to it too :D

Anybody know where I can get some leggings or something simular?

I remember someone saying something about
MkII Frag Grenades for $10? Where can I get these? Please correct me if I'm mistaken though...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/buletz/proudmandownsig.jpg[/img]
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Only in the US mate... :( Go to a Militaria Fair, not sure when/if theres one in Sydney but I saw Metal Lemon/Pineapple grendaes w/working parts go for $40 though... :|
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Leggings are everywhere! You can go eBay and take a risk. Or there are great online stores like www.wwiiimpressions.com www.atthefront.com or www.whatpriceglory.com where they all sell leggings from $10-14/ pair.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

He's in sydney. It would cost more in shipping overseas ($60 AU) than buying 6 pairs! :(
Col.Sahb

Post by Col.Sahb »

I've finally finished my Thompson!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/buletz/proudmandownsig.jpg[/img]
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

One word. WOW! send a viseo clip w/your webcam showing it around! :D