WWII Outfits and Gear

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Two minutes and it's 165MB!? Please tell me this is a typo! You need a lesson in compression ;).
spoonstudiosintl

Post by spoonstudiosintl »

But that's just a bit excessive isn't it? I mean, sure, our trailers are compressed a whole helluva lot, 4 Mb for 2 minutes, but at least give us 10 Mb, wouldn't that be reasonable?
CEO, Spoon Studios Int'l
[url]http://www.cafepress.com/spoonintl[/url]
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

I do all my editing on a Mac G4, so I (cant) get DivX :( :cry:

Anyway, I'll try to get it onto my PC. For compression that is :D
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Good god... I'm away for a few days and now I discover you're all downloading hundreds of megabytes on my server! :shock: Please be kind! 165 meg is pushing it a bit far, would not you agree?

Anyways, going back a few pages in response to bad karma12's statement: Yes, Saving Private Ryan US uniforms were almost completely built in wardrobe for the film. Some close-up haversacks and leggings were probably real. Most things were too expensive to buy from collectors. But they did blast holes in tons of $400 original german helmets. :)

Most of the German uniforms belonged to the actors that wore them, whom happened to be reenactors from around Europe. Even almost all the weaponry molded from rubber or foam. Only the hero characters and close-up actors used blanks firing ones.
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Yes, Saving Private Ryan US uniforms were almost completely built in wardrobe for the film. Some close-up haversacks and leggings were probably real.
Regardless, they're still accurate uniforms (or did I read the original post wrong... lol). Maybe not all original (not even all of my stuff is original), but still accurate. And most of it did seem original. BpB on the other hand...
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

BpB?

Epsilon (LORD ALMIGHTY), only about 195MB is on your server!

Goto my site in about 5 mins. It will be on there! :D
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

bad_karma24 wrote:Regardless, they're still accurate uniforms
Yes, Spielberg is a total accuracy stinge when it comes to WW2 recreation. Every extra on the beach scene wore over 30 individual pieces to make up the uniform. Talk about getting it accurate...

Here's an actual complete ranger outfit used in the opening scene:
ImageImageImage
I don't know about the glasses though. :lol:
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Download my movie!!!! its only 11MB!!!

http://matt.echowave.net/uploads/tls_finished.avi :D

wow. 44 pages of nonsense! :lol:
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Watched the test vid. Blargh! Camera shakiness headache! But it's just a test, so what the hey. Well, the flashes looked good, maybe a bit to opaque. The gun was too flat, round 'er out a bit with a spokeshave or some sandpaper. The loading thing was pretty slick though, I liked that. Some nitpicky cr** I could say, but being as it is nothing more than a test I'll keep my whiney mouth shut, overall: great job.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Yes, Spielberg is a total accuracy stinge when it comes to WW2 recreation.
Kind of; I'm sure if Dale Dye didn't do SPR and BoB they could have been better. Most of the stuff that was wrong in it was most likely due to him.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I did and I watched it too. I'll refrain from saying too many comments, but it looked like a home video. There is much, much room for improvement. The camerawork is terrible. Go to the library and study camera shot and ways to apply it. You need to storyboard too. Never use automatic exposure, always set it manually. Acting was too uninvolved, that can also be intensified by better camerawork. Use harsher cuts and close-up to make it dramatic. The actors don't look like soldiers, just by their posture and attitude.

Write up a great story. Sequences like this are good, and I hope you can improve upon what you've created. Camerwork is your biggest weakness. It made me queasy. Keep it up.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

My friend Ariel (The American) his brother david whos 11 did the filming for us. Thats why it was cr**! :D My mum worked in television and gives us great tips. As I said itwas a test for flashes and I'm making a good one soon. :D We have a tripod (a good one at that) and im going to use it in further tests. What did you think of the German Helmet? I think its only good for random Massive scenes thats why im getting steel ones soon!

In future tests/projects my Mum will do the filming, shes a professinnal

UFProductions, note that the M1 clip had 30.06 casings not inerts! No lead! :lol:

Also, what do you use to hold the liner in the helmet? it keeps bouncing around while your running!
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

bad_karma24 wrote:
Kind of; I'm sure if Dale Dye didn't do SPR and BoB they could have been better. Most of the stuff that was wrong in it was most likely due to him.
Wrong! Dye did nothing but improve those productions.
@seanbagley
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Not a bad clip for testing muzzle flashes and stuff. Dunno what the Germans were doing walking in the middle of nowhere, but I guess that's not an issue... lol. Not a bad Garand either, even from the first shot it looked pretty good.

Uniform top is OK, work on the pants though.

Keep up the good work!
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Also, what do you use to hold the liner in the helmet? it keeps bouncing around while your running!
Liner should fit just fine in the helmet.
Wrong! Dye did nothing but improve those productions.
Nah, he definetely worsened BoB by adding a bunch of cr** in. Most of the vets who saw it were very confused by all the sign language, for example (it's actually Nam era stuff). Not to mention starting this huge fires at the end of Episode 5. He let a lot of silly little innacuracies (as well as glaring ones) slip through as well.

SPR wasn't the most accurate film from the beginning anyways. It suffers from some historical errors, as well as some more Dye stuff (again, hand signals, for example).
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Sure, there were a few inaccuracies. But you can't prove it would have been better without him. He made them better at impressing actual soldiers. That's his job.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

The helmet liner fits in loosley (its a vietnam american one) Should I get one of those leather straps and glue it like the WWII one? because theres no strap clips/hooks inside.
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Sure, there were a few inaccuracies. But you can't prove it would have been better without him. He made them better at impressing actual soldiers. That's his job.
His job is the military advisor. By teaching them to act like Vietnam soldiers, ignore ROE and let the stupidest mistakes go in, he's failing at that job. No, I cannot prove it would have been better without him, but you can also not prove that it would have worse without him.
The helmet liner fits in loosley (its a vietnam american one) Should I get one of those leather straps and glue it like the WWII one? because theres no strap clips/hooks inside.
It should just fine. I guess you could try gluing it, yeah.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

bad_karma24 wrote:you can also not prove that it would have worse without him.
If you've actually met a Hollywood actor, their total lack of knowledge in non-film military life would shock anybody. Most actors aren't even that intelligent. It's a pretty far stretch to say an actor could be better off without.

Honestly, not even the best of driectors even know what their doing half the time. A military advisor is the heart of these war films!
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Very true. Take Spielberg for example. In the ending, he wanted the turret to come off completely. Dye informed him that this would not be physically impossible.

I'm not saying they don't need an advisor, they simply need one who won't sacrifice accuracy for coolness.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Much of the time, the coolness is required to get the audience for the movie. Getting it too accurate would look fake to the untrained eye. Most people actually believe a mortar explosion is a giant fireball that will blast any building to rubble, more or less even know what a mortar is!. ;)
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

Which I am glad BoB or SPR didn't take that route. We're getting closer, but there a lot of silly things that would make no difference to the regular audience but huge boosts for history lovers.
NaziSentry

Post by NaziSentry »

Yes, please send your GERMAN uniform pics!!!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

This is an old one: