How much video on a VideoCD ???

All aspects of creating media (DVD, Blu-ray, VCD or SVCD) including authoring and menu creation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Adam

How much video on a VideoCD ???

Post by Adam »

How much video can you fit on a VideoCD? Someone told me it depends on the bit rate but I'm not sure.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Using a 74minute CDR you can fit just over 70minutes of video on a CDR. Or just under 80 minutes on an 80 minute CDR.

The important thing to remember is that a VideoCD uses a constant bitrate. That's the standard. So no matter what your source is, once it is converted to VCD format MPEG1 it will use up the same amount of disc space per minute (roughly 9Mb per minute).

SVCD allows you to change the bitrate and so you can fit varying amounts of video onto a single CD ... obviously with varying quality.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I managed to make a VCD still with a constant bit rate but one which is lower than the normal for the video, the audio still used the same bitrate. This allowed me to fit 100 minutes onto an 80 minute CDR. The quality wasn't significantly lower and it allowed me to get a whole film onto one disc, no more swapping disks as the film approaches the exciting end !.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

True, but that is a non-standard VCD (XVCD) and might not play properly on some equipment.

For your own use it probably doesn't matter.