slow motion

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Jibberish

slow motion

Post by Jibberish »

Ok, lets say i have a regular DV camera that obviously won't do slow motion very well. Is it possible for me to take a program like motion perfect, double the framerate, put the new clip in premiere, and cut the speed by half and still have good quality?

Also, have any of you ever heard of or tried Realviz ReTimer Pro? It's like a 4000 dollar program, and I assume that for that price it would work flawlessly. I've tried doing frame interpolation with motion perfect but came up with powerfully shitty results.

Anyways, hit me back
peace
Beauty is only a lightswitch away
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

YOu can probably just do that in Premeare.
Jibberish

Post by Jibberish »

Actually, in premiere, if you slow footage down, it gets choppy. I also don't think premiere has frame interpolation. But its all good. What I did works.

Ok, I went to the Dynapel homepage, and got the motion perfect demo version. With that, I took a clip, doubled the framerate (which actually turned out looking like it was 60fps) then went into premiere and 50 percented its a**. The result -- a 30fps clip at half the speed.

The only problem is that with the demo version of motion perfect, you can only interpolate a clip to a maximum of 15 seconds, and it has a logo in the top left corner. But this can be avoided by purchasing the program, which is only $50.

So kudos to the new guy! lol, j/k

peace
Beauty is only a lightswitch away
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

If you've got After Effects, I'd say give Realviz retimer a shot. There's a downloadable demo plug-in on their site for after effects. The program is pretty amazing, including options like gradually slowing down your video, even to a complete stop, and then speeding up again or whatever you like! Plus the slomo effect is as smooth as it can be.
hanasand

Post by hanasand »

I have Retimer Pro... It's quite good, but dependant on a clean background plate for it not to bug. De-interlace slowmotion is an option for ya, if you require even heavier slow-mo simply morph between two of the frames and set the duration of the morph to whatever you want to achieve unlimited slow-motion..
- ..:There is no spoon:.. -
Jibberish

Post by Jibberish »

Holy s***, you've got ReTimer Pro? That s*** costs $3500 american dude. Did you pay for it? Or did you rip it off from somewhere? I'm currently in the process of getting the trial version (which is just a download of the full version with a trial license). Hey, I know we discourage not giving like serial numbers and stuff like that, but would you know where I could get one, perhaps?

anyways,
peace
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

just double the framerate...done.
Jibberish

Post by Jibberish »

well, thats what i did with the whole motion perfect business, but how are you proposing you double the framerate?
hanasand

Post by hanasand »

Shoot in interlaced mode and then slow down by 50% and de-interlace the footage. Loose half the vertical quality but 25/30fps slow motion..
- ..:There is no spoon:.. -
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Yeah deinterlace your interlaced footage and slow it down by exactly half and the slow motion will be glorious :)

Technically you do loose half the verticle resolution but people who notice these things have far too good eyesight for my liking.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I really need to get more powerful software - the slowmotion on the program I use is controlled simply a slider, but the end effect is never as slow as you want it to be. And if you slow it down all the way, export it and slow it down again, it just get's damned choppy.

[Edited on 5-8-2003 by SgtPadrino]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Since CamClub hasn't mention an old school way, I guess I will, just have your actor move slow, then slow it down in post, you will probably get an even slower effect. I haven't tryed this but probably will have to, soon.