Caution to all Internet Explorer users!!!

Post all your general non-film related PC and Mac stuff here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Caution to all Internet Explorer users!!!

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

I just read an article that says Hackers have planted scripts on websites that allow hackers to use loopholes in IE to redirect you to a site of their choosing, where they can then attack you. read below:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... _2004jun25

Just thought i'd let everyone know about this. I have gotten fed up with internet explorer and have switched to Mozilla Firefox, which i highly recommend. Its a great browser, and gives you the option to block sites from installing software on your comp, and also includes a pop-up blocker. It's free too.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I used to be an ardent suporter of IE but now that I have switched to firefox, I have to say that I love it, I just wish my google toolbar was on the otherside but oh well. Everybody that can should get Firefox, its great. The Tabs make it really easy to do reserch without having to open a bunch of windows.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The tabs are great! I like the custom themes too.

I copied and pasted some advantages over IE off their site...

* It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
* There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
* No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
* Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
* You have complete control over cookies.

Also note that the browser is currently at version 0.9, which means it is still in beta stage, but so far i haven't found any problems.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

U mean Netscape explorer? I personally like that but im just used to the internet exploerer already so why change when it works fine
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

No,Firefox is totally different from IE. Same interface (mostly), but it doesn't have the security loopholes that IE does. It also has a pop-up bvlocker and an option that prevents sites from installing cr** automatically on your pc.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

Last night I downloaded Firefox and I am very happy with it. What setting do you recommend that I have for it though as far as making it as safe as possible from malware and all that spyware garbage goes?
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

just set the pop-up blocker to on and set the option that doesn't allow websites to automatically install software and you should be good to go
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

Thanks a ton man!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Truggy wrote:U mean Netscape explorer? I personally like that but im just used to the internet exploerer already so why change when it works fine
You change because it is full of holes that people can use to get into your computer with. Also firefox is a better browuser, also it is not at all hard to use if you know IE. what I like are the tabs, the fact that it has a built in goggle tool bar, which every IE user should have. You can set the tool bar, to look up tons of other sites, I have mine set to be able to use IMDB, dictonary.com, wikipedia, and so forth. Also it is just a good fast browser, you should at lest give it a shot. I didn't think I would like it but my brother made my try it and I love it.
xbreaka420

Post by xbreaka420 »

i may sound like and idiot but where is the part where i can check the option not to allow sites to install spyware
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

tools>options>advanced>uncheck allow sites to install software. It's not garunteed to prevent spyware completely, but it will help.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios