Re-creating Explosions (also with compressed gas)

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re-creating Explosions (also with compressed gas)

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Okay watching the special features of the spr 2-disc pack, I was wondering if any of you know a way you can make explosions with compressed gas (they also use it in Band of Brothers) I have acsess to an aircompressor if that helps. Also, for a bullet hit on a sandbag, would it look good to cut a hole in it, put a firecracker in and light?
Are there any other ways to create explosions (i do not have acsess to salt peter (potassuim nitrate) and will not make moloctov cocktails as they are too dangerous. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Chris_film

Post by Chris_film »

when you say the explosions with compressed gas, do you mean those big things that they had under the ground that they then blew all the air out of and all the dirt and stuff would fly up?

and yes, that firecracker thing would work. ive tried it.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Have a four inch section of wide PVC pipe, and attach an air hose to it, run the hose throgh a shut off valve to a collector connected to the compressor. Pressurize and fill the PVC with loose dirt and debris. Release the gas and FWOOMP!! Dirt goes everywhere. And molotov coctails aren't dangerous if you take precautions and prepare for the worst.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

I'd advise against explosives simply due to safety issues. Compressed air works well. I did a filmshoot last week where they filled PVC with dirt and foam pieces and blasted that out. Worked great.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

That's what I meant Chris, My dad's work makes aircompressors so I'll try somthing like UFP said. Thanks
camiziodeltoro

Post by camiziodeltoro »

make the container in a cone shaped form. also, if you want a fireball, you might want to add gasoline to the debris mixture ans a electrical squib to set of the sprayed gasoline cloud. however i personally believe in the use of explosives more than compressed gas...
bad_karma24

Post by bad_karma24 »

My dad's work makes aircompressors
You suck. :P
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

camiziodeltoro wrote: also, if you want a fireball, you might want to add gasoline to the debris mixture ans a electrical squib to set of the sprayed gasoline cloud.
Where do you get electrical squibs from ? I would like to find a place for some. need to make explosions like the guys who wrote this forum entry. Is it hard to make them if so or not so how?
camiziodeltoro

Post by camiziodeltoro »

making them your self is rather tedious, yet not impossible. go for a pyrotechnics course and get a license, so you can buy them , after that there's only your imagination to limit you. otherwise i'd try and get some on the black market somehow.... If neither is an option, stick with the compressed air and other easier and effective alternatives
Directordude

Post by Directordude »

I would love to take a pyrotechnic course where could I possibly take one? Are squibs hard to find? Even after I am licensed? Are they expensive? Where can I get these suckers and where can I learn about them in a course.
camiziodeltoro

Post by camiziodeltoro »

courses are given everywhere, i cannot imagine a country or state that does not have them, ask your local fire department for info. call around. legislations are different in each country. with some luck they are not so tough in your area and you can buy your squibs right away after completing the course. some other countries require some working experience with a fireworks professional before one can apply for a license. however, when licensed , there are no boundaries whatsoever for you to buy squibs. delamare makes them, most pyrotechnical firms get them from them. they are in different size and shapes depending on use. they are mostly yellow of colour and are about the size of a penny to a dollarcoin, also there are some more stick shaped, max 1cm long, wich they use to simulate impacts in walls and grounds and objects. They are however quite expensive. but there is almost no sparks and smoke, wich makes them more usefull for realistic scenes. they use a high explosive called lead azide. nice stuff
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

You know this belongs in the physical effects section..
Sigs suck a**.
softweigh

Post by softweigh »

Hi Guys
Believe it or not coffee creamer makes a cool fireball. Yep, the stuff you put in your coffee!!! BUT it will only ignite when dispersed in air. Just use a nice hollow building block and tape a hosepipe vertically onto in with a small funnel on the end of the hose as a "speader". Place an ordinary charcoal briquette and have it burning on top of the block, then put about a quarter cup of coffee creamer down the funnel..go to the end of the hosepipe and blow the stuff into the air (my mouth or compresser). The burning briquette will ignite it into a safe and awesome fireball and you can add sound later!!! You may have to try different brands of creamer to get the best effect (depends on the fat content)

Chris
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yup, this deffintly belongs in physical effects
Sigs suck a**.
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

oops my mistake, well i thought an explosion would be SFX but I get what you mean.
edinc90

Post by edinc90 »

Moderator! Special FX is only for computer effects, right? Move this into Physical FX.
My website: www.edcarlson.tk