Questions About Doing A Parody Of A Movie

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

BenjaminLevin

Questions About Doing A Parody Of A Movie

Post by BenjaminLevin »

Do I have to pay royalities or anything if I poke fun at a movie? And if the title sounds similar to the original movie are there any kind of special steps I have to take?
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

say your doing a spoof on Daredevil call it DarnDeevil or something...or like spider-man make it Man-With-Web'd-Feet or something hehe
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Don't worry about it if you don't plan on selling it...
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

LOL
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

But if I wanted to sell it then I would have to dish out some hard cash towards certain companies that own the rights to the movies I am poking fun at?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Depends just how close, and if the owner is anal since it is in therie your spoof of somthing. Ask Raptor, hes the copyright man. Also this would work better in a diffrent area wouldn't it?
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

:) Uh - oh, getting a reputation huh...
Parody is a GENERALLY permitted use of copyrighted material. However, just saying it's a parody, it's protected go away to the legal eagle's from the studio, may not be enough, and in fact probably won't be enough. Here is a reference article http://www.publaw.com/parody.html . Understand that in order to protect their copyright, copyright holders are required to prove that they have previously protected their rights ( ie to sue people) so there is a good chance, if you come up on their radar that they will come after you, even if they think they are going to lose, it is simply to prove they have attempted to protect their copyright so if someone does a real rip-off of the material down the road.
So my totally un legal opinion is even tho technically your parody should be a protected work ( assuming it passes the tests listed in the article) you may have to go to court to prove it. In the case of the example 2LiveCrew had to go to the supreme court. And you are probably talking about some real serious hard cash to get the licenses you would need if you licensed the work. As always, anytime you tread the tenuous areas of copyright infringement, seek the advice of a good Intelectual Property attorney, and generally not on the Internet LOL.
Again my opinion and interpretation, there is no legal advice implied, just my thoughts on the question at hand.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Grant

Post by Grant »

Just don't use exact character names. music, props etc and you should be right. My film Dangerous Dan Jones is a parody of Indiana Jones and if you listen to the music it sounds similar but if you break it down into tracks it is very different.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Grant wrote:Just don't use exact character names. music, props etc and you should be right. My film Dangerous Dan Jones is a parody of Indiana Jones and if you listen to the music it sounds similar but if you break it down into tracks it is very different.
And a very well done parody at that!! I could see absolutely nothing in that movie that would even allow them to raise a copyright question! And at the same time, it was obviously a parody of the Indiana Jones series...
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Like Spaceballs.
That was a comedy a a number a space films...You can do more than one you know.
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

Spaceballs rocked! That's one of my favorite Mel Brooks movies. And thanks for your help Raptor. I'm in the middle of a second draft for my script.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Really ,Drafts?.I have an Alfa Smart ( laptop ) so I just type it on it and then just print.
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

I type mine on my laptop. Mine is a toshiba, nothing special, kind of crappy to today's standards. I haven't printed anything yet, I have all of the drafts saved on my laptop and I makes changed there. And then i print my final draft.
Grant

Post by Grant »

i do mine all on paper along with storyboards
Themovieman44
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Themovieman44 »

yeah I type mine in the crappy Scriptbuddy, then I copy and paste it to word and make my corrections that way the formatting is semi right and I dont have to format the whole thing.
"They're people who only want to be involved in filmmaking to get rich, get famous, or get laid. They know as much about filmmaking as George W. Bush knows about hand-to-hand combat"- Jim Jarmusch
nutter25

Post by nutter25 »

One BIG tip for creating a parody though, only replicate the bits of the film that are funny... learn from Scary Movie 3's mistake.
Brave Sir Robin ran away,
When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled
Grant

Post by Grant »

parody is considered "fair use". Just be smart about it
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

meaning don't call a parody of "The Lord of the Rings" "The Lord of the Rings". Call it "The Lord of the Circular Jewelry Wornn on the Hand for the Purpose of Aesthetics"
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

or instead of Terminator 3: Judgement day, call it "Rise of the termination machine: Bug repellents
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
TheWall

Post by TheWall »

or like take the title off kung pow enter the fist and who in there right mind would step into a fist? anyway use that as a example
I BET YOUR THE KIND OF PERSON WHO WOULD FU*K A GUY AND DONT OFFER HIM A REACH AROUND!!!- Full Metal Jacket
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I assume it's only for fun right? As long as your not selling it, or posting it everywhere you can possibly think of, you should be fine
Sigs suck a**.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

well most parody is fair use, just some people get very defensive about it though. So know how the onwers react before you make one.