X men 2

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Austin

Post by Austin »

yeah, and the second one is loads better than the first
"Build a cow a fire and it will be warm for a day, Set a cow on fire and it will be warm for the rest of its life"
FreZko

Post by FreZko »

Nahh.. I also like the 1st one :)
But nightcrawler makes the 2nd one much better :D
I love Wolverine
hehe...
By the way.. i would like to know how to make his claws :P
-FreZko
[url=http://www.fredrikskogsrud.com]I'm online[/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

i also like the first one to but 2nd better, the claws use a 3d rendering program like 3ds max(3ds max is the one xmen actually used), or just go real! get some sort of gloves or something and attach claw type things , just be carefull that way!
Sigs suck a**.
TXFilms

Post by TXFilms »

In X2, they used a combination of CG claws, and of a plastic set that were "glued" in between his knuckles. The behind the scenes is really good at showing the composite shots as well. As for the claws, anything goes. In CG though, one detail is very important. If you watch closely, they added a slight displacement map on his hand, all the way up his arm when the claws retracted (to show them going into his arm). You may not realize that you saw it, but you did. And it made the effect complete. Little details like that are important. But, dont underestimate the power of good camera work and plastic claws. around 90% of the time, he was wearing plastic claws. It really was only animated when they wanted to do a retraction or have them come out.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah thats what i was basicly trying to say they used cg and real props, real props are deffintly easier to work with a real prop, but for plastic that looked pretty damn real
Sigs suck a**.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Keep it real and seal the deal :P
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah!
Sigs suck a**.
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

How long did that effect take you to do by the way I3lade203?
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

no way could you get the amount of particle interaction in max... you would have to us3e animated sprites which would look way better... even then the amount of particle simulation would take ages they had thousands of particles to calculate and they had a farm of computers... good luck... you may have to do the smoke layer by layer slowly adding geometry.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

I didn't i ment the effect with the stock footage in this thread
Sigs suck a**.
seantree

Post by seantree »

insert_coin, I do believe you can get that type of control form max's particles. Using spacewarps such as wind or gravity and some deflectors in addition to particle flow just about anything is possible with them. I recommend that anyone using max, well version 6 should check out this thread to see what is possible with particle flow.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114324
good luck. Particle flow can be super fun once you dig into it.
oh, btw, here is a free smoke material, it looks great and the settings can be tweaked to your liking
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze89078/smoke.zip
insert_coin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by insert_coin »

im talking about the amount of particles you will need to make the effect look at all decent... hundreds of thousands even would lock up a good computer... so if your going to use 3d animation programs make sure you use animated sprites or something to get more of a fine smoke...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

yeah i agree with ic on this one even a really good computer would crash with that many particals
Sigs suck a**.
dougscar56

Post by dougscar56 »

Considering everything's going to digital, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a dig. effect, but you could also get pretty much the exact same effect with a cloud tank. A tank is full of water and you can create clouds of smoke, nebulas and other various smoke effects, by squirting inks and dyes into the water. Normaly you would film this in high speed, so when composited and played back at 24/fps it has a cloud/smoke effect.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

True, somehow this effect just works better digital althougth it can work phyiscal to
Sigs suck a**.