*FREE* .AVI to .BMP Conversion Programs

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Towels42

*FREE* .AVI to .BMP Conversion Programs

Post by Towels42 »

I'm new to computer-video editing, and I'm wondering if anyone happens to know of a free program that will convert each frame of an .AVI file into a picture file, such as a .BMP.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You don't need to download anything, you've got it all installed already!

Before you do this if you want good quality bitmaps, set the screen resolution to the highest setting!

1. Load up Microsoft Paint (Start, Programs, Accessories), unless you have a different graphics editor that handles pasting of bitmaps. I use Corel PhotoPaint 8, or CorelDRAW8 - Does everything I need, and more!

2. Using Windows Media Player, play your .AVI file! Hit the pause button! (If you can't see any controls, right click, and you can set them from the pop-up menu). Make sure the screen is stretched out, rather than using the FullScreen option - Better repro!

2. Use the slider, "scroll" along the movie to the frame you want! Hit the PrintScreen key on your keyboard (Above the Insert/Delete keys).

3. Click on Paint (Or other program), Edit, then Paste. You can then mask out the unwanted border of the player, save it, and hey presto, you have a saved ,BMP! Other editors will let you export the file into a .JPG format or .GIF format for internet use, or a variety of other formats for different applications!

See, it's easy when you know!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Towels42

Post by Towels42 »

Heh heh, neat. Now that I look back at my previous message, it seems a little unclear. I’m looking for a free program that will split each frame of an .AVI file into an image file so I can put crappy effects into it, and then turn it back into an .AVI. I know there are such programs out there, but I can’t find the right one. Hopefully it will be something that works with Pinnacle Studio 8…
Thanks.
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

The best way is to use an Adobe filmstrip.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Yeah, a filmstrip would be best, but since you've got Pinnacle :mad:, you'll have to work around that. You can either expand the timeline completely, and go through and save it frame-by-frame, or you can search around http://www.download.com for the program that dies what you want.
bangoker

Post by bangoker »

yes, filmstrip is the best, as it exports as pictures and can import again as a video.

one time I made an effect by zooming in the timeline to the max and put the setting in frames, rather than time, then I exported each frame individually, edited in premier and then imported back in premier, but then you'll have to make sure they just as they were originally, so the video looks normal.

it was loooong an tidius and I highly dont recomend it, but if you dont have any thing else, do it that way.
Towels42

I think we have a winner!!

Post by Towels42 »

My brother downloaded VirtualDub, as recommended by Tech TV... It captures video, saving them as .AVIs. It does minor editing, but most of you have expensive programs to do that, already! It will take any .AVI file, and will save each frame as a .BMP!!!! WEE!!

VirtualDub is FREE and OPEN SOURCE!

www.virtualdub.org

Just make sure to save the .AVI's generic sound using AUDACITY. (Another great, FREE program.)
film fanatic
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by film fanatic »

this might take a while...

do what camclub said about printcreen and such, then import the gifs or jpgs

NOTE: You must save as gif or jpg

into Windows movie maker (that is if you have ME or XP) and cut the photos to one frame each and put them together. It will save as a WMV file but when you are saving, on the menu click All Files and save as Movie.avi and it should save as an avi.

Hope i was of help!

[Edited on 25-7-2003 by film fanatic]
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

See, wasn't such a bad idea, from such an old geezer like me!
Moderating behind the bushes!