Filmmaking ruins friendships

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Filmmaking ruins friendships

Post by Famous »

Hi...
I've really noticed that with my friends when I push them to act or help out with the camara they will enjoy it.
But then all of a sudden when they are sick of it they have no part to do with me.
My friend's name is Keagan.His part is the "Spy" in the movie i am filming.He chose it.But now all he wants to do is film STUPID STUFF. It bothers me that when I say no he says "I Quit" ...Well maybe I "Quit" with him.
Famous
Tropical Films/Short Film Industries.
Director, Editor, Producer, Camera, Actor, Script Writer.
Since 2003.
ChibiVader
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ChibiVader »

Don't tell me that....

My girlfriend is helping with my movie. I don't want to lose her.
BenjaminLevin

Post by BenjaminLevin »

That really sucks man. I'd try not to let filmmaking come between you and your friend though. As much as I love making movies (well trying to anyway...) I would never want to lose a friend over it. Just sit down and talk to him. And is he working for free? Some people that work for free get frustrated because they're working hard but getting no money in return.
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!
I know, it sucks!!!!
I hate when people grab a camera and then they start recording stupid stuff, like their noses, cars, etc.
I hate and can't stand people that can't apreciate the beauty of film making as much as I do. Many people doesn't realice that a camera isn't supposed to move as fast as your eyes. It revolves my stomach when someone grabs a camera and wants to record EVERYTHING, jerking the camera from thing to thing, pointlessly.

Having a camera in your hands gives you the power of contolling other people's eyes, that's why you have to move steadily and softly from scene to scene. The beauty of film making is that you can control what others see and what they don't see. You can make them believe they're seeing something when in fact they are seeing something else (like a good FX)

I've made and lost friends with this argument. Thank God I have some FX freaks as friend now. My advice to you Famous , DON'T QUIT!!!!!. You aren't the onlyone surrounde by stupid people!!!.. I better lose some friends, than my passion for filmmaking!!! (just be carefull with that!!)
Grant

Post by Grant »

I ma different because most of my cast and crew are friends and the experiences through film making have strengthened our friendships
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Yeah ...My friends work for free.But I wouldn't nessasarely say work.The reason I went in to filmmaking was to impress and have fun with my friends but if they don't want to help maybe I should find some friends who will help me out.
Thanks.
Since 2003.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

My friends are way into it, i cant get them to shut up somtimes! lol they love making movies with me, one of our greatest hobbies, one thing i dont like about using friends is sometimes horrible acting :-/ and costumes cna be an issue i am on a low buget :) lol i dont have much to spend nor do i want to bur none the less they enjoy it plenty
Grant

Post by Grant »

you just have to make sure that you treat them as friends and with proper ethics and morals, and keep them always informed
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Nearly all of my buddies couldn't care less about filmmaking. I have to try them off their stinken computer games to do anything! I have found it to be difficult to find others determined to make a worthwhile movie like myself. Once you leave the secondary school, your peers will take life a little more seriously... hopefully. My friends are still hardcore gamers!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Its good to invite them tp public showings and then they get a lot of pride from their work and performances
Ivan Speilberg

Post by Ivan Speilberg »

My friends are way into it, i cant get them to shut up somtimes! lol they love making movies with me, one of our greatest hobbies, one thing i dont like about using friends is sometimes horrible acting :-/

That's my same situation almost every time. Everyone wants to be in my movies because of the fx I come up with. They are soooooo good to me that I always find it thought to say no to them when I know bad acting will show up.
Grant

Post by Grant »

exactly, especially once you start to get your name known and the ball rolling, and a secret is to try to keep that ball rolling :)
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

It all depends on how you direct them. i don't use my close friends coz 1: they can't act, 2: They don't want to act. I'm often a complete bastard when i direct, so i don't want them to be around when i'm making a film. but i've never lost any friend whilst making a film. I think you need to have a fun environment for them to work, aswell as keeping them in control. That means have everyone doing something.
Last edited by Jass Films on Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I use my friends and they can't act :) It is all for fun and i will not sellout them and viceversa. We are a team :) We are all advancing well wth our film skills
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

I try to make it a policy to not make a film with someone I wouldn't want to hang out with in real life. That way, when you finally finish the project, and everyone gets together to watch it, you can all laugh at the massive fun it was to make it and maybe talk about a sequel, talk about what you did wrong, then talk about something completly different altogether. (Ie. Computer Games)
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Grant

Post by Grant »

its all about mutual respect
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Id rather much work with friends at the time, because Id rather have fun now, it's not like this is my job and I need to make award winning stuff.
Famous
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Famous »

Well yeah...
haha my dad just said the actors in movies get paid so stinkin' much.It's true.
But now i've menchined the Film Festival and said that i'm entering next year.Becuase I got word that a lot of kids one so with my film it will be a chinch.
Another thing is with my buddy.
He says .."umm i won't do the movie becuase I like to use swords not guns."
So now i'm just ready to give up.
Since 2003.
Grant

Post by Grant »

well i work out a story and a script and then work out which friend i think will suit the part better.
Truggy
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Truggy »

hehe all my friends are involved in kriminal films, lets see, bear2054, 2nd_recon...and me truggy. Tho we havnt filmed in a while, i hope we start soon RECON *hint hint*
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/xerojohny88][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/xerojohny88.png[/img][/url]
--
Dance Dance Revolution: Proving white people dont have rhythm since 1998
Grant

Post by Grant »

It certainly bonds a unique brotherhood
pan-modo_pictures
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pan-modo_pictures »

Yes many are payed way too much. Who needs $10 million or whatever they get to act in a movie. I know what you mean by the whole festival scene. You should have someone that can somewhat act, because if it's an amateur film people are going to care more about the quality, then if some big budget star is in it. Many times money blows up in peoples faces, look at waterworld. Id rather use my friends right now then other people, and who said friends can't act, look at Carlos Gallardo.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

Most of us here have one thing in common- we love to make short films- what reeeeeally sux is that we are all so spread out around the world...
Grant

Post by Grant »

yes that is a problem, but that also makes our individual styles stronger and the want! :)
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

Yeah true, but i would enjoy it a lot more if i had a cast of people who loved it as much as i do- i think your lucky in that respect Grant, you have a group of mates who all love what they do- most of us are not that fortunate